Broken 12ht (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So old faithful let me down today. Driving home after work on the freeway i hear this almighty bang!
All lights come on, power steering goes so i scream to a halt, switch off and she keeps humming along. Pop the bonnet and the viscous hub/fan is in a million pieces and sticking out of the radiator......cue expletives..
So had to manually shut the engine off seeing as the alternator has no belts and supplying no vac for shutoff.. anyways..the waterpump has s*** itself so hard that the shaft driving the impellar has snapped clean off throwing said fan into rad completely shagging it and dropping all fluid. Had to be towed by a nissan!
First time i never made it home under my own steam.
Anyways.. has anyone heard of a water pump spontaneously snapping the shaft before???
Only had 30k on since complete rebuild.
Chime in if this has ever happened to u

Sh1t go mate, I've certainly never seen it in a LC but plenty of times in other passenger vehicles.
It's usually a combo of poor quality AM water pump and over tight old belts, that said given the right amount of time and conditions anything is possible.

At least the fix is a weekend job and you know what has to be fixed.

Aaargh, that's gonna suck big time. I wonder if you've got any hope of warranty from the dealership for the parts at least, if not more.

Very disappointing, I can imagine.

If it's an OEM pump, then it's gotta be too tight belts. I know from experience that mechanics love to over-tighten things like belts, nuts and bolts.

And people often like to force new belts onto their sheaves ... especially if the adjustment doesn't readily allow them to fitted the proper (ie. gentle) way. And I believe doing this can bend/stress components and contribute to their failure at a later date.

Would say the shaft probably had fault since new, have you looked at the metal yet to see if it had a flaw?

PS. It could have been worse, the fan could have damaged the bonnet?

PSS. At least with the 12HT its only the water pump you need to unbolt and not the whole housing, also seen OP put these on up side down, they have a weep hole to warn you the seal is going?

IMG_0962.JPG

Last edited:
Good luck with repairing, funny that it keeps running with no cooling :hmm:
I have once used a belt on a hj60 that seemed (was) original but was so tight we decided to cut it loose again.
One of these moments... :bang:, hate cutting an new belt but after looking at it a few times we put the old one back on.

So if a dumb mecanic decides it fits he will go for a coffee, and not cut it loose.
If a proper belt was used it stretches after a few minutes (look for difference in manual for new and used belt)
but if they put it on so tight to snap the pump they must have used a big iron bar, the bolts are not made for such force (?)
So I think wrong belt, looks like it fits but way to tight (also OEM, difference between hj, fj ?, dont know what)
Also the tension pulley can be mounted wrong way round and will not spin free, dont know if that can happen on your 61?

It kept running because the alt belt was off and vac pump stopped producing vac for the shutoff valve. I have no doubts at all that the pump had an inherrant flaw from new and i trust my mechanic to not install the wrong belts as he owns two and is currently building one of his own hj61s
Seriously doubt the belts are the issue here. I have felt the tension on the belts and they had suficient play in them to not snap an inch thick steel shaft in the water pump. Im thinking the bearing siezed and the shaft failed

Would you mind posting or sending a pm with the name of the mechanic that you use? I would like to know who there is around here that's into cruisers, in case I ever need to use their services.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom