Brakes question redux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You all might remember that a few months ago I asked about a brake problem I had where the front right brake would sometimes bind or lock up. Happened usually when I was in carpool line at my child's school. I took the truck to the dealer who said my rotor was warped. He replaced it for about $650. The problem is back. Why would the rotor warp? Could there be another underlying problem that would lead to recurring warped rotors? I hesitate to take the truck back to the dealer because he is far away and, most importantly, I don't trust him. I want to sell the truck (got a newer one) but not without resolving this issue. Thanks.

this may be coming from left field, but i had a similar problem that happened on my motorcycle. I got a bit of moisture in the brake fluid, when it would get warm (usually happened after a stop and while sitting still) the moisture would expand and cause my front brake to lock up. I fixed by draining and re-filling all the brake fluid.

Sticking caliper.

Bill

I made a mistake in my original post. The problem was not a warped rotor but a "broken" caliper. The entire caliper was replaced. Problem not resolved. The truck is at a brake shop getting the brakes serviced, i.e. replacing the brake fluid. Mechanic says that will not fix my described problem. Unfortunately, I can't get the problem to occur when he is around. Somebody help me!

The dealer should have a 12/12 warranty on work performed, I would start by going back there as a recheck i.e. no charge seeing as they obviously didn't fix the problem. However, if they find something unrelated to the work they did, it won't be covered by a recheck. At least they have record of what they did and what they found, where as going elsewhere, they would be starting from scratch.
Another tip, make sure you can get it to do it when you tale it to them, i.e. do what ever makes it happen so when your there you can request a ride with a tech to show them exactly what is happening. They should do this, we do at my dealership. If you can't duplicate it then they may not be able to find a problem, really frustrating for everyone!! Good luck, sorry to hear you are selling a Landcruiser!!

You said the right front locks up. Some possibilities - The ears on the steering knuckle could be bent or broken causing the caliper to be misaligned. The wheel bearings on that side could be bad or too tight causing extra drag on that wheel. The proportioning valve could be bad or misadjusted so you are just stopping with the front wheels or a master cylinder problem causing the same. This really should affect both front wheels but maybe the place where it is happening is slanted lightening up the right side? Also, if a little grease or oil gets on the rotor it could cause a brake to grab.
A warped rotor can happen when installing the rotor, it is not put on or pulled up tight evenly. This happened to me once on a truck where rust fell down behind the rotor as I put in on. If the bolts where not tightened in a pattern or torqued improperly can have an effect as can overheating the brakes. If your rotors were turned thin they are more prone to overheating.
Hope this helps you some.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom