Brake pipe alert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I might share my mornings experience.

I noticed that there was a new oil patch on the driveway this morning. Upon closer inspection I tracked it down to coming from above the heat shield for the cat. I removed the shield and saw two brake pipes. Both metal pipes enter rubber hoses for 6 inches or so before returning to metal pipes. On one pipe, the clamp holding the rubber tube to the metal pipe had rusted through. The metal brake pipe was also badly corroded. After poking around with a screw driver I managed to make the problem much worse and ended up taking it to the local garage.

It may be that this is a one off problem and I'm just the unlucky one. I also concede that it's not a quick or easy job to check the condition of this joint. That said, I pay pretty good attention to my brake pipes just to avoid this kind of problem. This occuring where it did - out of view - meant that I had overlooked the problem. May be worth inspecting this if you have time.

I may be way off - but is it possible that the heat from the cat had contributed to the deterioration of the clamp and pipe? :dunno:

Cheers, Jim :beer:

I can't believe all thse leaks came at once...

Update on the brake pipe - :slap: I am stupid. The pipe in question takes the hot water to the rear heater - not a brake pipe at all. How embarrasing :-/ Never the less, it was really badly corroded. Fix was easy - cut out the rotten pipe and replace with a bit of hose.

Cheers, Jim (no beer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom