Brake issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I press down on the brake pedal there is no resistance except maybe the last inch which will engage the brakes. If I pumo it it doesn’t build pressure and then soften there is just no pressure.

I am not thinking that they need bleeding, but maybe any other ideas. I am not familiar with the brakes on this vehicle with an actuator, is there a test to make sure it is priming they brakes I listened for mine but it isn’t kicking in

When I press down on the brake pedal there is no resistance except maybe the last inch which will engage the brakes. If I pumo it it doesn’t build pressure and then soften there is just no pressure.

I am not thinking that they need bleeding, but maybe any other ideas. I am not familiar with the brakes on this vehicle with an actuator, is there a test to make sure it is priming they brakes I listened for mine but it isn’t kicking in

Did these problems coincide with work you've been doing on the vehicle?

Bleeding would be my number one thing to suggest. Could also be master cylinder problems. Again, I'm not familiar at all with the 100 series, but maybe take a look at the brake part of the manual for ideas. Or check the 100 series section on this forum.

The vehicle is new to me and I bought it damaged. Right front bearings went and the owner kept driving it, but I don’t think that anything he did would add air to the brakes, but you never know

Sounds like booster is shot
I disagree with that. He says he has no resistance on the pedal until the very bottom of the stroke. Air in the system is the only thing that will cause that. if it was the master it would just leak down as you apply pressure, if it was the booster he would have a hard pedal if everything else was good. I would take off the cap on the master fill it up and start bleeding at the furthest one from the master first. Gravity bleeding should work. You might have to jumpstart the flow by pressing the pedal down a couple of times. Once the bleeder starts to drip, get a flashlight and watch until the bubbles stop. Close that one and move onto the next. fill the reservoir as it drains. Easy to do by yourself.

I disagree with that. He says he has no resistance on the pedal until the very bottom of the stroke. Air in the system is the only thing that will cause that. if it was the master it would just leak down as you apply pressure, if it was the booster he would have a hard pedal if everything else was good. I would take off the cap on the master fill it up and start bleeding at the furthest one from the master first. Gravity bleeding should work. You might have to jumpstart the flow by pressing the pedal down a couple of times. Once the bleeder starts to drip, get a flashlight and watch until the bubbles stop. Close that one and move onto the next. fill the reservoir as it drains. Easy to do by yourself.

Agreed. Air 100%, an air bubble in the master won’t bleed easily.

Does it look like the master was ever changed?

You're supposed to bench bleed them before installing, but it's a step that gets forgotten quite a lot, and then yeah, it's a bitch to get that bubble out.

Definitely start with what tootall suggested. Any luck that'll do it.

Occurred to me just now, if the brakes work fine other than a low pedal, and you don't find air, might just be a pedal height thing?

It's usually adjustable with the push rod up in behind the dash.

I had the opposite problem after a changing a master, the rod was too long, so the brakes didn't fully release, after a couple miles I thought something was wrong with my engine because I suddenly had no power.

The brakes were gradually clamping down harder every time I touched the pedal. Shortened it up a bit and all good. :meh:

When you're bleeding, don't forget the brake proportioning valve if it has one (usually attached to the inside of the rear frame with a rod running to the rear axle). Air always seems to hide in there in my experience. It's easily overlooked.

Thanks for all the responses going to try bleeding them first might see if I can find a mobile mechanic with a power bleeder, I don’t have one and just do a full flush of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom