Brake Fade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was crawling down a steep hill with my Chaser trailer (empty) and my front tires started to slip a little. As soon as the tires started to grip I started to experience the brake pedal mashing down all the way then one of my brakes started to squeal like it was worn. Does anyone have any maintenance tips? Why would my brake pedal push almost all the way down and start to feel like they were going to fade?

Thanks,

Chris

cvc,
How much pad thickness is remaining on your pads? Brake pad heat fade? When was the last time you refreshed the brake fluid / checked the fluid height in the reservoir? Air in the line(s)?

I assume you did not get the Chaser with the e-brakes?

Actually, I did get the e-brakes on the trailer I just haven't got the part that goes in the truck yet.
I do need to freshen up the brake fluid since I haven't done it since I've had it.

Actually, I did get the e-brakes on the trailer I just haven't got the part that goes in the truck yet.
I do need to freshen up the brake fluid since I haven't done it since I've had it.

IMO the Prodigy brake controller is the one to get...Mario recommended it and also a buddy that has used one for several years. That is what I had installed...and it works great!

Back to your issue: I wonder if the brake fluid level was so low that when on the "steep" grade allowed air to enter the line? Does the pedal feel spongy now or is it normal?

It feels normal. However, normal has always been a little spongy. I wasn't sure if this was just the nature of the FZJ80.
I just checked out the Prodigy and that's the one I will go with as well. Did you install your own?

It feels normal. However, normal has always been a little spongy. I wasn't sure if this was just the nature of the FZJ80.
I just checked out the Prodigy and that's the one I will go with as well. Did you install your own?

No I had a local trailer shop install it...where I also purchased it...and they did the complete installation for $150 (plus the cost of the Prodigy) which included drilling a hole in my Slee bumper which made for a very protected location for the receptacle...I figured I would have spent $50 on the hole saw alone! FYI: I had them mount it on the lower portion of the dash under the ignition key...which is the only space available IMO and this location has worked out perfectly.

FWIW: When I installed my new rotors and pads this summer I also had a local shop (although Slee, et al, offers SS lines for 80's...but not 100's) make SS braided lines to replace all the rubber lines. I noticed a positive difference in pedal firmness after installation that I attribute to the SS lines.

Great, thanks for all the tips and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom