Brake Caliper Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to replace the brake calipers onthe 85'. Too much rust...too important of a part.

Searching on Advanced Auto Parts site I found that they sell calipers:

...Loaded
...Not Loaded
...Semi Loaded

So what is that telling me?

Also, are their brands I should avoid?

Cardone
Bendix
Beck/Arnley

Ranski said:
I'm looking to replace the brake calipers onthe 85'. Too much rust...too important of a part.

Searching on Advanced Auto Parts site I found that they sell calipers:

...Loaded
...Not Loaded
...Semi Loaded

So what is that telling me?

Also, are their brands I should avoid?

Cardone
Bendix
Beck/Arnley

yeah loaded is calipers, pads and hardware. Should be able to just bolt it on.

Ranski said:

Are they not rebuildable? If not, I may have a set that might be.

As an FYI, if you swap rotors to vented ones from an fj, you can upgrade to the ifs calipers. The 4cyl versions will work with your existing master cyl. V6 calipers have 2 large pistons instead of 1 large/1 small but require an fj80 master cylinder.

I got the vented rotors from RockAuto.com. Cheap and seem to work fine. Think Erik uses 'em as well.

I can walk you thru this for the easiest way and cheapest way to get upgraded brakes.
In summary here's what you do
IFS calipers up to mid 1990's? and 1985 FJ60 rotors from RockAuto for $10 each.. You'll need new lug nuts to hold the stuff on.. your welcome to come over and use the press to push out your wheel studs when doing this job.
Order in newer calipers.. if they get in the way of the backing plate then use a cresent wrench and bend the backing plate back out of the way a touch. THey have bigger pistons and stop better than the old junk you get vented rotors etc.. Order in loaded as the bigger calipers have longer pins attaching the pads in place.. Buy them, pay your core take em home and istal, then take in your old ones as cores later so there is no comparison and get your core charge back. ?s please call.

I didn't need a press for mine. Just soaked 'em with PB Blaster for a couple of days, screwed the nut back on and a couple of whacks with a brass hammer and they popped right out.

Bob & Erik-

Thanks for the info. I will probably be calling you to make sure I understand and have all the details.

The calipers I have are pretty shot...lots of rust.

the calipers you want are '92-'95 V6 4wd 4Runner...that's what I'm running on my '85 FJ60. if you do this, you'll probably want to go to a larger bore master cylinder like Bob said, to get the solid pedal feel back...though you might not "require" it. I still have the stock master on my truck, but will be going to a bigger one. You'll have to trim the backing plate a bit with some tin snips, and if the new calipers rub on your wheels, you'll have to grind a bit of the caliper (no big deal) or, like I did, space the caliper back from the knuckle with a couple washers over the mounting bolts between the caliper and knuckle.

Steve

Sherpa, thanks for the link...I have a line on aguy parting out at 93' 4Runner. What should I expect to pay for the calipers?

Also, would the master cylinder out of the 93' work in my 85 4Runner?

dunno and dunno, Randy. sorry I'm not more helpful, but I'm a Land Cruiser guy. I'd look at all the parts sources you can, including Marlin Crawler and Rockauto.com, for good product at good price. one thing...you need to get fully loaded calipers, as anything else will not come with the clips and pins that hold in the pads, and the ones out of your calipers will not work (I found this out the hard way). good luck!

Ranski said:
Sherpa, thanks for the link...I have a line on aguy parting out at 93' 4Runner. What should I expect to pay for the calipers?

Also, would the master cylinder out of the 93' work in my 85 4Runner?

V6 or 4 cyl? If its a 4 cyl, I wouldn't pay more than $10 ea. unless they are newly rebuilt. 6 cyl would be worth more... maybe $20 ea.

Not sure about the master. The 4runner master has the same bore as the LC, I think. Not sure if the mounting and ports are compatible or not tho... It might need a rebuild as well.

keep in mind that '92-'95 V6 4WD calipers are the ones with the biggest pistons, earlier V6 are bigger than 4cyl, maybe equivalent to FJ60? and, post '95 have wider bolt spacing and will not bolt up. so, if you're looking for the most brakes possible, narrow your search to those calipers...if you just want an upgrade, go earlier V6 / FJ60 caliper (and either way you'd use the same vented rotors, I think, assuming they fit, might be wrong there)..

if it's a 4wd yes the calipers are good to go .. $25 is what I'd expect to pay. The master? Grab it and your good to go also.. I'd give $25 for the master at the most as well.. I am running this master without issue. .it's a 1" bore which is bigger than your current 7/8" bore master. You'll get more pedal pressure but takes more pressure to engage.. Should work out just about right.. While your in there replace 4 hoses at the same time.. All the drop hoses and flex hoses at the knuckles. Belive me most people don't and wonder why they don't have brakes! Call me when you get closer.. I can walk you thru it and you'll be writing an article for our newsletter when you do! :)

Call me when you get closer.. I can walk you thru it and you'll be writing an article for our newsletter when you do! :)

DEAL!

IMO waste of time, if they are leaking replace them, Rusty on the outside they all are eventually, good used stockers or new. problems getting the slider pins out?

if you have to do rotors and calipers, then maybe play with vented stuff, due to rotor costs.

stockers on a fully loaded runner, v8 etc... lockedup 37s, have to try it on the other on 38s

I have few sets of rotors and calipers, from upgrading disc brake converion setups to vented i have sold.

fj60 fj62 is like the ifs calipers none ribbed, NOT later big bore V6 stuff

and 81 and earlier minis require different studs, 82 and later work as is.

near free $$$$ and time to do well then ok.

Well I located a guy parting out his 93' V6 4Runner. He is shipping me his calipers, master cylinder and steering box all for $200 shipped.

boo, i told you where to come for parts. shameless plug, sorry

anyways let me know more about this 93 runner, buddy needs some parts, driver fender, driver turn signal, etc...

HI^C said:
boo, i told you where to come for parts. shameless plug, sorry

anyways let me know more about this 93 runner, buddy needs some parts, driver fender, driver turn signal, etc...

Yeah I know...what can i say. ;) I'm sure I will have other needs in the future.

This deal was packaged up and ready to go when i emailed the guy. He had been following my thread regarding my 85'.

If your interested in the 93' visit:

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=70349

its alright i can take the dagger out of my back. LOL this stuff just laying around here collecting dust, nobody from this board ever buys anything.

93 is door back, need front pieces :(

you have the later IFS box 89 up, (I see there might be a change even after 91) just so you know what to look for in a spare, earlier input nose is a bit different. MOUNT it as far forward as possible !!!!!!!!!! ie cut/hammer into the front body mount a bit to make it fit nice a far forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom