Bracing for impact (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My main squeeze spent weeks trying to find a one owner, no accident GX 470 to replace my old GMC and hopefully make it into something awesome over the next couple years. We found a 2007 beauty with no nav, meticulous service records, the right everything basically for what we want to do. I’m absolutely attached to this truck already.

Anyway previously we had an older GTO that we spent a lot of time and money modifying, and were paranoid about driving it because if we got into a fender bender - the cost of repairs would likely push it into the “total loss” category. Has anyone ever run into this with their builds? We want to enjoy our GX and not be afraid to drive it. I’ll gladly embrace any scrapes being the result of our own off-road fun, but knowing how to argue or debate repair costs for something we weren’t responsible for would definitely ease that worry.

Thanks in advance! :)

I don't have experience with your question (thankfully). But, I would suggest keeping receipts for all of the major purchases such as bumpers, wheels, etc. That should help with your argument.

Welcome to the group! Thankfully i don't have to daily my truck but it seems from people who have posted up their accidents that's its pretty hard to get money back for anything you add on... or if they get totaled by insurance. These trucks are tough and it's usually just cosmetic damage... in those situations it seems the best bet is to buy it back, repair the damage and keep on rolling. BTW this post needs more pics! :)

uwharrie6a.jpg

I think in the case of the GX470, you really are only going to be able to cover the cost of the base vehicle itself, at least with traditional insurance policies. You also need to consider that it covers the "market" cost of the vehicle, this will vary by carrier and by region of the country. If you want to get additional coverage for aftermarket parts, talk to your insurer up front and see if its an option.

Now with that said, if you plan to keep your GX for a while, if you do happen to get in an accident that sadly totals the truck, just buy the vehicle back with a salvage title (the option to this can vary by state). Replace damaged bumpers with aftermarket options, same with headlights. Fenders messed up? Just bang them back out and treat with your favorite bedliner product. If that doesn't work, I think that a lot of aftermarket parts we put on these trucks can be transferred over to a new GX.

When my 80 was totaled, due to a roof ice slide, State Farm gave me a little extra for all the added equipment but only a fraction. They did however, appraise the vehicle at the highest level they were allowed I recall around $11,700 three years ago after considerable negotiation with the adjuster. With purchase price + after market gear I was up to about 16K . I was able to buy it back for $1100 with a salvage title and sold the sliders ect. Then I sold it to a friend for $2300. He pounded out the roof and welded up the sunroof and still drives it today. Other then heartache to lose a very nice LX450 with 123,000 miles...I believe I did OK.

Last edited:
Probably wasn‘t the right way to introduce ourselves to the forums but I’m an irrepressible oversharer and was a bit leery of putting too much info out there. Truth is I got rear ended by a distracted 18YO yesterday, and we are fairly irritated. We only just bought the truck a couple weeks ago. Our GX ate the other driver’s mirror off, at the expense of it’s own hide.

We were eventually going to replace the bumper anyway - but am disappointed that now we feel compelled to scramble to find a reasonably priced something instead of taking our time getting the one we really want.

In any case thanks to all that replied! I did take the comments here to balance my expectations with the adjuster and will take the advice - I never considered calling our own insurance company for options in coverage for any (God forbid) future incidents.

So... more pics. Before, and the damage, which honestly doesn’t look that bad - just happens to be spread out over the bumper, quarter panel and wheel flare. We’re just going to do everything possible to avoid any repairs that involve compromising the factory paint job.

01CF4ADC-EAF1-4194-850E-D79F9504238E.jpeg

E22D72A8-3639-409A-9D61-66E6FCF551A0.jpeg

281E33A9-814E-46CC-87B7-F137283A09AD.jpeg

0156A4BC-0EC7-4D86-B694-179EF5B97EDD.jpeg

Well.... i would just drive it like that...take whatever money the insurance gives you and start saving for a new aftermarket rear bumper and a rear airbag delete kit with springs... eventually you will want to do this anyway so just consider this a jump start on that project. Nothing stays perfect forever and it will be much easier to take off road if it's not perfect... trust me!

I certainly understand your frustration! But, please know that that is not your bumper. It is your bumper cover :) There is a wonderful robust steel item inside of that painted cover that is the real bumper. As long as the steel structure is not damaged (bent) you are just fine as it is. Assuming no structural damage, I agree with Racerman - drive it as is and start shopping. Memorial day and 4th of July sales are coming. Also, if you are new to wheeling, you won't mind when you accidentally rip it off on a rock :rofl:

My advice is to chart out a desired mod list in order of preference and start at the beginning of that list. Just my $0.02

Well.... i would just drive it like that...take whatever money the insurance gives you and start saving for a new aftermarket rear bumper and a rear airbag delete kit with springs... eventually you will want to do this anyway so just consider this a jump start on that project. Nothing stays perfect forever and it will be much easier to take off road if it's not perfect... trust me!
This wasn’t a consideration at the outset but makes a good deal of sense because you’re right, it is what we want to do anyway. I think the only reason we were so committed to keeping that bumper (cover) was we loved the look of coastal offroad’s low profile bumper kit which appears to keep some of that original cover in the design. We bought charlotte with a few bumps and scrapes already but had reconciled those before the purchase. oh well I guess!

I certainly understand your frustration! But, please know that that is not your bumper. It is your bumper cover :) There is a wonderful robust steel item inside of that painted cover that is the real bumper. As long as the steel structure is not damaged (bent) you are just fine as it is. Assuming no structural damage, I agree with Racerman - drive it as is and start shopping. Memorial day and 4th of July sales are coming. Also, if you are new to wheeling, you won't mind when you accidentally rip it off on a rock :rofl:

My advice is to chart out a desired mod list in order of preference and start at the beginning of that list. Just my $0.02
Yes! You’re right. My husband kept reminding me the strength of the bumper is the metal underneath. We had been running through the mod list before the scrape, and apart from a few changes, think we have a plan. I also always forget about holiday sales. It would be nice to score a solid discount on even one of the mods on our list. And 😂 @ the rock comment.

I have the Coastal Offroad rear bumper but did not cut my bumper cover. Instead, I made some simple "caps" to fill the gap. I think it turned out well but you might have a different opinion.

IMG_2916x.JPG

I have the Coastal Offroad rear bumper but did not cut my bumper cover.
It looks great - we might have to pm you about how to replicate it. Up to now we have been on the fence about the swing arm. I might have to be hospitalized for anxiety just considering mounting the spare to the rear door instead of a swing arm setup - but like the way it looks. We haven’t spent too much time looking for member’s pros and cons of either yet.

Whatever we decide to do, swapping the bumper and wheels will make any dents and dings look normal, whereas right now it looks like someone backed into a light pole at the mall. 😆

I will overshare a bit to hopefully help out.

I had over $15k in damage to my GX a couple years ago. I am a first responder and crashed into my deputy chiefs personal truck responding to a call. At the end of the day, I don't believe you can say you are fine adding scraped, scratches, bumps whatever that you do off-road but then want to have a pristine ride on the street. You either need to make a choice that this is a treasured possession and you will be meticulous about how it looks, or enjoy for what it is - one of the last of it's kind, bad ass luxury SUVs that can go virtually anywhere you want off-road and be valet for dinner the same night and not look out of place.

I spend a lot of time finding a body shop who would be a close as possible to a factory finish. I honestly can't tell what's been repainted and am happy.

At the end of the day, you have some scratches on your bumper. If you backed into a rock on a trail would you be as anxious about it? again I dont think you can have it both ways.

Lastly, your truck runs fine and structural sound. There is no urgency to find the bumper you want or go to a body shop. Just ask for a check, put it in savings, do your research and buy what you want for a rear bumper.

Hey so we see that ironman has a lift kit deal going still. I posted a question there but am not certain that’s the right way to go about it. Cross posting here to ask if anyone has done the lift the Ironman kit here:
We wanted to know if we’ll have to replace the UCAs or if it’s not needed, and any other pros or cons with the Ironman lift kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom