Bought my first 80 series… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have been on here for a while lurking and looking for an 80. I have spoken to a few that were selling their rigs. Then this one popped up locally. It didn’t have all I wanted, but condition was incredible. Wife thinks I have lost my mind, and she may be right.
Contractor at Eglin AFB owed it for a while ( on ih8mud?)
Appears to be a Florida car.
1994 - not 3x locked
Has center diff lock switch
Trans appears to be 3 speed
Rear axle is a semi-float with drum brakes I believe
Missing the data plate under the hood
Has been repainted
Interior is incredible condition
There is no rust!
3DBE83D3-C642-4CF5-9BE9-E9FD3505DD63.jpeg
C2075360-2D45-4FD1-9BAF-D5B3E4A1CE53.jpeg
07EF6731-DF0D-4847-9E04-2D58B0CAEBDD.jpeg

Nice!

It's a 94 with drum brakes is a bit of a unicorn. (consider this a negative, but not horrible)

It also has cloth seats which is a plus!

It appears to be in nice condition. Make sure the undercarriage is clean and not a rust bucket.

Spend what you consider is the right amount. It will always be too much or too little.
Ask for all receipts and maintenance records and WHO did the work.

WELCOME!

Make sure you post a lot so we can harass you!

Nice!

It's a 94 with drum brakes is a bit of a unicorn. (consider this a negative, but not horrible)

It also has cloth seats which is a plus!

It appears to be in nice condition. Make sure the undercarriage is clean and not a rust bucket.

Spend what you consider is the right amount. It will always be too much or too little.
Ask for all receipts and maintenance records and WHO did the work.

WELCOME!

Make sure you post a lot so we can harass youI
It definitely has drum brakes. Which I didn't notice until after I got home. I didn't even think a semi-float drum brake rear was possible on a 94. Not that I care that much, because I knew it was unlocked in the rear. Underside looks really clean, minus some oil leaking from the valve cover gasket, and probably a few other places...

The transfer case lock switch from factory means no ABS, semi-floating rear axle, and drum rear brakes. Edit: also, no viscous coupler in the transfer case.

The transmission is the A442F (electronic version), which is a four-speed. The overdrive toggle switch is a button on the side of the shifter.

Last edited:
It definitely has drum brakes. Which I didn't notice until after I got home. I didn't even think a semi-float drum brake rear was possible on a 94. Not that I care that much, because I knew it was unlocked in the rear. Underside looks really clean, minus some oil leaking from the valve cover gasket, and probably a few other places...
You can still install a locker in the rear if you choose. They are available, but you may have to go with a "lunchbox" style.

Or, you can swap the entire rear axle and housing for a disc brake FF setup. Not too terribly difficult.

I think she looks very nice! Re the rear drums, for complex reasons I ended up transplanting a 91 frame onto a 97 and one thing I have noticed is that the brakes are not nearly as nice. CruiserMatt has suggested it has to do with the valving of the brake system. I plan to turn it over to him once the truck is in the US. My point is just to see how the brakes feel to you. There is nothing wrong with drums really. And congratulations!

Has she told you her name yet?

Congratulations!!!!

These things are almost as bad as a boat. Get ready to open that wallet lol.

No name yet. If I do put in a locker, I think a rear axle swap to full float is probably the route I would go. That said I noticed this bunch of electrical connections that go nowhere. Are these supposed to be for the ABS ( which I don’t have)?
9C5944F2-D477-4C6C-8CC8-47683F21C125.jpeg

I compared your picture to my '97 and I think you are correct about the ABS pump being there. I have a box there that some of those similar looking connectors and some brake hardline are connected to.

I wouldn't jump into an axle swap or anything else too drastic right away unless you really know you'll be doing some heavy offroading. I'd wait and see how the truck handles the roads and trails you like to drive before making a single mod. Your truck looks beautiful, it looks like a really nice buy.

I agree. I plan to drive it and get a baseline for what it needs in terms of regular maintenance. Unfortunately, I have no service records for this 195K mile rig. So far, the only thing that doesn't work is the power antenna, which the previous owner broke off in a car wash...

Plan on changing out the heater valve and all heater hoses including the PHH, they look original. Does the cruise control work?

Another random question; there appears to be a solenoid of some kind missing a small vacuum hose in the bottom right (circled in yellow) any idea what that is and where the hose should go?
780AC320-F81D-4324-8478-A0D9C81CB193.jpeg

I think that's your windshield washer diverter. The thing that controls whether the washer fluid goes to the front or rear nozzles.

Very clean looking rig! Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom