Botched brake booster install: solved, I'm just an idiot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been battling to get this Seiken booster installed for a while now, but it so okay refuses to go through the firewall. I’ve tried to finesse it in, ive tried lubricating the studs and passages with wd40, I’ve tried brute force, but all I’ve seemingly managed to do is tweak some brake lines and damage the exterior of the booster. Am I missing something?

Pics below; would it be safe to drive to a shop like this if I hooked back the MC and brake pedal?

1518E556-41A3-4593-A499-AAB61E0EF38F.jpeg
7D9EDBDC-2260-4FC1-A5D9-567610627975.jpeg
E09C1DED-F4B1-4573-8D69-094676E28FF3.jpeg

No it wouldnt(be safe). Can you post a pick that is further away so we can see the booster to firewall relationship?

The bolts going in the firewall matched the booster you took out?

Either the studs were bent a little and won't go in, or something is stuck behind the booster. Or you need to be more encouraging.

20220420_155413.jpg

Either the studs were bent a little and won't go in, or something is stuck behind the booster. Or you need to be more encouraging.

View attachment 2987324
I’ve given it all it could handle without breaking anything (at least I hope so)

I even sat on the radiator and tried to kick it in in a moment of desperation.

i would’ve just taken it to a shop if I’d known it’s be this much of a PITA. For reference I’d Been driving without boost for the past month so I wasn’t sure if this’d be any different

If you look closely on the picture of mine you will see there is a purple mark to show the correct clocking. Do you have a mark on yours? Also you can't make that work and have a working brake pedal at all without that booster in correctly

Stick a flashlight and look between to see if the bolts are hitting where they need. Honestly you got the thing in the area and that is the hardest part. This should be the easy part. So i think the studs are bent or you don't have it clocked right so more than one stud can go in

Stick a flashlight and look between to see if the bolts are hitting where they need. Honestly you got the thing in the area and that is the hardest part. This should be the easy part. So i think the studs are bent or you don't have it clocked right so more than one stud can go in
It’s a Seiken so i oriented it with the writing up as shown in the how to video I watched where it slid right in

Well if it is off it isnt by much. I bet the studs are a little off and you need to straighten them.

Well if it is off it isnt by much. I bet the studs are a little off and you need to straighten them.
Maybe I bent them when forcing it past the intake?

I looked under the days and the holes for the studs looked a little caved in, but I’m not sure if that was just the angle or lighting

OK, well unfortunately you can't trim the bolts they are not "longer than necessary" but you already figured out the turn and twist process to get it where you got it. You know the trick and getting it back in will be much easier than before. So now you need to pull it back out, and compare it with the old one. Might need some small pipes etc or nuts to put on the threads so you can straighten out as needed. Also pay attention to your firewall and look at what marks you made when you "encouraged it" that will let you know what was off from alignment.

OK, well unfortunately you can't trim the bolts they are not "longer than necessary" but you already figured out the turn and twist process to get it where you got it. You know the trick and getting it back in will be much easier than before. So now you need to pull it back out, and compare it with the old one. Might need some small pipes etc or nuts to put on the threads so you can straighten out as needed. Also pay attention to your firewall and look at what marks you made when you "encouraged it" that will let you know what was off from alignment.
Well I’m not sure how I’d straighten them even if they are bent

take the nuts that are likely on your floor carpet and thread them on the studs. then take channel locks or vicegrips and bend the each stud individually back to where it needs to be. if they are pushed in a little. thats ok. when you tighten them up on the firewall they will pull back out to where they need to be.

take the nuts that are likely on your floor carpet and thread them on the studs. then take channel locks or vicegrips and bend the each stud individually back to where it needs to be. if they are pushed in a little. thats ok. when you tighten them up on the firewall they will pull back out to where they need to be.
Ok, I appreciate the help, I’ll keep battling this.

In retrospect I should’ve just bitten the bullet and paid the labour this job, but again thanks for the advice

my pleasure. but no. you would learn nothing by paying someone. and like i said before you figured out the hard part. You made the right decision to do it and you got this. But sometimes when parts get shipped, or before they even get boxed, they get knocked around a little. important lesson next time is to match the parts up old/new. you won't forget that step next time.

Took it out and the threads look a bit damaged but I can’t say if it was like that when I got it or if I did it when trying to force it in

my pleasure. but no. you would learn nothing by paying someone. and like i said before you figured out the hard part. You made the right decision to do it and you got this. But sometimes when parts get shipped, or before they even get boxed, they get knocked around a little. important lesson next time is to match the parts up old/new. you won't forget that step next time.
I get what you’re saying but I’m not sure DIY was worth it in this case as all it takes is one silly thing to stop me in my tracks. Now I might have to buy another booster since I screwed this up so royally

I doubt you damaged it that much. the important stuff is inside and the only external thing that i would be concerned about is that little vacuum valve. if you didn't break it... then its just sheet metal and character marks.

I doubt you damaged it that much. the important stuff is inside and the only external thing that i would be concerned about is that little vacuum valve. if you didn't break it... then its just sheet metal and character marks.
Well a few of the studs are damaged so that a nut can’t be screwed on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom