BMW R12GS...anyone have experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lusting over these. I want one badly, but they are costly. I wonder how the ride compares to my cb750...

04bmw_r1200gs_main.jpg

The BMW will be tight behind most sport bikes and pass a lot in twisties.

You can sleep at 120mph (on a closed course:grinpimp:)

Braking is unbelievable

With off road capabilities

Last edited:
Most are thinking you are not serious

Don't take this wrong but comparing to a 1979 CB750 is a joke.

The BMW will be tight behind most sport bikes and pass a lot in twisties.

You can sleep at 120mph (on a closed course:grinpimp:)

Braking is unbelievable

With off road capabilities

I'm not comparing. I asked specifically about the ride.

You asked how they compare. I agree with phil

I wonder how the ride compares to my cb750...

If that wasn't clear, then here:

How does the ride quality of a BMW R1200GS compare to that of a CB750. Better, worse, same, softer, harder, etc?

I know that braking will be better on the BMW than any stock '79 bike. The BMW has more power. You can get heated grips, handguards, etc.

If that wasn't clear, then here:

How does the ride quality of a BMW R1200GS compare to that of a CB750. Better, worse, same, softer, harder, etc?

I know that braking will be better on the BMW than any stock '79 bike. The BMW has more power. You can get heated grips, handguards, etc.

Think FJ40 to a 100 series

For a really informed opinion I'd check out ADVrider and scope out the Gspot/Oilhead Boxer forum.

A new GS will be a massive improvement in every way over a late 70s CB but they're totally different. The Bimmer GS crowd is loyal and VERY opinionated. I really dig the triple black GS12 from last year. It's super pretty in person.

:lol: Nice thread. :flipoff2:

Yeah, there really is very little in terms of comparison. The old Japanese steel has mojo, but that's about the only edge it has. Oh, and it might be cheaper and easier to maintain over the long haul. But that's about it.

I see R12Gs around my work neighborhood from time to time, and I always stop and stare. Compared to my CL350, it would be like going from a Piper Cub to an F-22 Raptor.

I want to ride one. I want to make sure the seat is low enough. I measured my honda and it's several inches lower than the bmw, I think. I don't know of a bmw bike dealership around here. I'm sure Atlanta has one, though. I don't know if I could spend 10k on a damn motorcycle, though. And that's used with 20k+ miles...

is that Marietta? I just found one online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom