blown engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone else experienced their FJC blowing the engine?

I was driving on the interstate, there was a loss of power, some backfires and a puff of smoke. Then a dead engine. Coasted to the breakdown lane and called AAA for a tow,

Based on the parts in the oil pan, a piston or piston bearing let go. Only 132K miles.

It's a 2007, had regular oil changes and maintenance. I'm at a loss as to what caused the failure.

Ive only ever seen reports of timing chain problem / stretch, but that usually throws codes long before throwing any metal around.

WOW> Never heard of it, even on Tacoma forum. I thought these 4.0L go till 400-500K without issues?

Sorry to hear of the problem

Bad luck for sure! Mine has 200,000 miles of hard use and still runs like new. Uses no oil between 10-12,000 mile oil changes. Sorry for your problems.

Yep, that sounds unusual. Sorry that happened to you. Of course, we don't know other driving conditions.
I will tell you that we still have at my employers shop an 08 Tacoma with this engine and it has over 550,000 miles driven by various employees, probably not all cautious miles!! but it burns no oil to this date. We have a few new Taco's at work now thanks to the longevity of the older Tacoma. I have driven this 08 recently with a tow-behind Miller welder rig and it still runs great. It is pretty unusual to hear of catastrophic failure of a Toyota engine of any kind but especially this V-6. Your incident sounds like my S-10 Blazer experience driving home from work one day doing 70, cruising, same noises etc, made it home ( one mile to go) . Turns out it snapped a wrist pin, and spun a rod bearing. Wrecked that engine, would not turn over. Towed to my repair shop ( every Chevy owner needs a favorite repair shop!!) Needed a whole new crate motor with a 36K mile /3 year warranty and that's what kept me from buying an FJ , had to wait until the non-transferable warranty was up in ....2012. Welcome TTSE!!

Last edited:
It was my daily driver and did have 2 cross country trips as well as numerous off road excursions. Still, nothing I would consider hard service. Waiting on my "used" engine to swap out and get it back in service.

From everything I know these engines are bulletproof. I have heard timing chain issues as well. Somehow the stealership convince the previous owner of mine to have the timing chain changed.... sorry to hear! that is insane.

If my engine blew I'd swap a new one in and keep driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom