blew up my 3FE, looking for options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 3FE blew up last Monday as my wife was driving it home (through E. St. Louis, btw). It had blown all the oil out a few days earlier through the #5 galley plug, also in East-Saint, and I drove it clattering further than I should have, but only far enough to get me beyond the sniper zone (seriously). Anyway, after it had oil back in it, things seemed just fine for a day or so and then a mild clattering came back. This terminated with a "loud bang and a big puff of smoke out the back" (her description). I haven't had a chance to look at the engine yet, but my guess is it is toast. At the minimum it'll need a compete rebuild. It's possible there are even metal bits poking out through other metal bits.

So.... options?

1: Have this engine rebuilt, if it is rebuildable;
2: Get another engine (anyone have a spare 3FE laying around);
3: Swap in a 2F (I've got a '78 FJ40 with a strong engine and clapped out body);
4: Say goodbye to the FJ62 (318,xxx miles).
5: ??

--Barry

just bought a 92 80 for a diesel conversion. the engine in it runs but needs some work... here's the description from the PO:
"Here is the concern, the engine is about dead. I took it to two mechanics for bids and the first couldnt be sure what it needed, but recommended taking the engine apart to diagnose further. The second mechanic said he would only need to replace two valves and the catalitic converter. It stalls out at red lights."
Not sure if this is worth your trouble or not... maybe.

I got a 73k motor from a warehouse in Texas for $1800.00 shipped with a 6 month warranty (usually only 30-60 days though).

You can find decent engines all over for $200.00 - $2500.00. Some are excellent and others need a little refreshing.

Either way if you do the work yourself you won't be out that much.

Just a thought.

Also, what about a diesel or SBC conversion? If you ever considered it now would be great opportunity.

I'd stay w/ the 3FE if you're going to rebuild/replace. What's the condition of the body/frame - at 318,xxx is it worth the effort? I don't happen to have a spare 3FE but you could contact cruiserparts.net, sor or classic cruisers and see what they want for a used or serviced engine then compare that to a local rebuild.

Good luck

How is the head on the 3fe? If good, find yourself a 2f short block and throw it under the 3fe head. There was a write up in Toyota Trails from someone that did this and was very happy with it. http://www.steelnthings.com/TLCA/2Fswap/

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies! it looks like i've got a used 3FE lined up, it's just a matter of getting it from there to here, and then the adventure of swapping motors.

If that doesn't pan out, I do have a running 2F that I could use to put under the 3FE head, etc, but that would be a rather involved proceeding.

As for the overall condition of the car, well, it's getting old and things are starting to go, but dropping a grand or two into it each year is still better than buying a new car. Right now I just need to keep it running...

Where are you located at i have a compleate 3fe drive trane

HI,
I live in Oregon, don't know where you are located.
I have a compleat 3fe engine, compleat with every thing on it.
This comes with the trany and transfer case still all bolted together.
This even comes with the power steering gear box atached to the power steering pump.
I would sell the whole thing for $1500.00
This only has 141,000 miles on it.

Let me know if your interested.
Thank you
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom