Black Hills - Trailer Parking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A group of us from Kansas City are heading up to do some trails in the Black Hills a few weeks from now. We'll likely be camping in the Hidden Valley, with a list of trails TBD.

Taking crawlers with us, so road use should be very limited (although they are registered).

Do you happen to know of any decent spots to drop a trailer that are more accessible and friendly to the trails up there?

Tagging @CrowleyFJ40 for his context as he's more familiar with the trails/mapping.

Thanks,
Jack

If you’re staying at hidden Valley, the owner, Jason will let you park trailers. You can enter the forest service right across the road on Galena Road and head to the camp 5 area. You can spend a few days hitting trails there. There’s full-size, Kong, calamity Canyon and hal Jon

Then there’s the bikini and T-back area by Rockerville and I’d probably haul your crawlers out there and there’s trailer parking at the beginning of that trail. If you go out to these trails, just keep in mind unless you have a broke truck, once you start the trail you have to stay on it there’s no early exits or bypasses. There was a fire in that area long time ago and to keep those trails open that’s what’s required from the forest service. I highly recommend these trails as they have a really great view. You can see Mount Rushmore from there.

Then there’s the cereal bowl area with fruity pebbles, got milk, and Jake. There’s also plenty of places to park trailers right there. The Black Hills are pretty safe…you won’t get your stuff stolen. What days are you guys coming out?

If you’re staying at hidden Valley, the owner, Jason will let you park trailers. You can enter the forest service right across the road on Galena Road and head to the camp 5 area. You can spend a few days hitting trails there. There’s full-size, Kong, calamity Canyon and hal Jon

Then there’s the bikini and T-back area by Rockerville and I’d probably haul your crawlers out there and there’s trailer parking at the beginning of that trail. If you go out to these trails, just keep in mind unless you have a broke truck, once you start the trail you have to stay on it there’s no early exits or bypasses. There was a fire in that area long time ago and to keep those trails open that’s what’s required from the forest service. I highly recommend these trails as they have a really great view. You can see Mount Rushmore from there.

Then there’s the cereal bowl area with fruity pebbles, got milk, and Jake. There’s also plenty of places to park trailers right there. The Black Hills are pretty safe…you won’t get your stuff stolen. What days are you guys coming out?
Thanks for the info! I know Hal John’s is on the list as our final trail while we’re out there. We’ll have a SAS’d 100, an 80, a 40 on 42s, a 1st gen 4Runner and mini on 35s out there. Any must-do trails friendly to “most?”

@CrowleyFJ40

We’re going to be wheeling 6/19-6/23 and then heading back home.

Thanks for the info! I know Hal John’s is on the list as our final trail while we’re out there. We’ll have a SAS’d 100, an 80, a 40 on 42s, a 1st gen 4Runner and mini on 35s out there. Any must-do trails friendly to “most?”

@CrowleyFJ40

We’re going to be wheeling 6/19-6/23 and then heading back home.
Dang if I were around, I’d give you guys a tour. I’m headed to some off-road races in Powell Wyoming that weekend.

I’d probably start in the cereal bowl off Bogus Jim road. Those trails are decently hard, if you don’t get crazy, you won’t break anything and then Id probably head to camp 5. Your last day on trails I’d probably either be on Hal Jon or t-back and bikini trails as that’s where the breakage happens. I’ll PM you my cell phone number feel free to reach out if you need any more advice.

@Redgrrr Thanks for the insider info! Huge thank you! I have either found GPX files or at least, using google and the MVUM found where all the trails you mentioned are except full size. You wouldn't happen to have the road number for that one would you? Or GPX/KML files?

Wish you were around, we'd love to link up with some locals. We were planning Rubithon but when it got postponed we had to head somewhere with that vacation time already secured, or we'd hit up the BHCC.

@Redgrrr Thanks for the insider info! Huge thank you! I have either found GPX files or at least, using google and the MVUM found where all the trails you mentioned are except full size. You wouldn't happen to have the road number for that one would you? Or GPX/KML files?

Wish you were around, we'd love to link up with some locals. We were planning Rubithon but when it got postponed we had to head somewhere with that vacation time already secured, or we'd hit up the BHCC.

I actually might be around later in the week after looking at the dates. Full size is just the upper section of the main creek bed on camp 5. After Hal Jon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom