Black Bear Pass vs. Imogene Pass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has done these, from what I read and hear Imogene is the easier of the two. Are these doable in a stock 4Runner 4X4 with good tires? Been on my hit list for quite some time. Thanks all.

Can’t say for Imogene, but I did Black Bear Pass in ‘96 with a bone stock Jeep Renegade. No issues. The edge is a bit scary and beautiful.

You should be fine on either trails. I've done Black Bear on my stock 2017 Tacoma this past August without any issues and it got a longer wheelbase compared to the 4Runner.

Done them both many times with a stock FJ Cruiser and an FZJ-80. You should have no problems with a stock vehicle, just make certain your brakes are good and you have solid 4WD for the multi-point hairpins on Black Bear.

Thanks for the great intel. The stock tires on her 4Runner kind of suck so will get BFG AT or MT when these wear out and before Colorado trip.

@blatant impressive!! In a Subaru, I kind of feel like an idiot now asking if a stock 4Runner 4WD will have issues.....

I can tell you ever year it gets easier my first BBP in 1990 was actually exciting, very narrow, required driver skills and I only saw one other vehicle. Today its a freeway and brings a ton of stock rental jeep driven by many with little to no experience. Today BBP is :meh: IMO but still one of the best trail views anywhere.

Looks like you will be driving off the end of the world as you see the road disappear below and to the right...... Went a long ways up Tomboy road on my Mtn bike last time I was there. Great area.

@LandCruiserPhil I could see where erosion would make any Trail less jagged over time. I have no doubt it was much more of a nail biter in the past.

@LandCruiserPhil I could see where erosion would make any Trail less jagged over time. I have no doubt it was much more of a nail biter in the past.

Looks like you will be driving off the end of the world as you see the road disappear below and to the right...... Went a long ways up Tomboy road on my Mtn bike last time I was there. Great area.

Something like this....

colorado-2007-053-medium-jpg.165317

White knuckle moments for sure, great pic Phil!

San Miguel county spends a lot of time to have BBP open by the 4 of July. If they can get this down the trail most should be fine.

imgp0592-jpg.90232

My last trip to the area I received an access gift very few have ever received. Access to Bridal Veil falls and the Lewis Mine in my Land Cruiser.

TvKXVTENvRvsZ5kc2Dxf5nUip3E160LwohiRmwR9cROfyhx_eYLNer2WqiUyCLrtKb84wmpUY2qy_AfdabAHoe2dcvXOYwDoVr9E2CJQPRlivE71evWFksh2TWTKBvullSj1MJf_DB3TEpRsYMThqqegVGKsNUPPQCFOXFNGw3PqVV0fnFGMkE_HVmsaKfxvI8eOr744o3eUOuT0yVULb4vlLhx0bL2CUPt6ozkMRRRR3ifXG8EfeWMgNZyZRt6v4Z3zEfpKaKGr9kYI3LJYZ7zxWmQzBlckazcQkfPD5uIH9w7JcjJ0K5JmLcLkHUZkaDMYCzzQ-TKv7yJSpf9Pd1TgkP7wFuLA2ObwwYAU1dk2FVJ4DBrxG1zKtc2WRu9jJybzAKZOPpySYMIKbTCRQO4ONb7HNHmIJVUNVm2mubDbYijlRnt_vmrPrjy3HiBofOgDZvKvjcT2YdJ4i8AiCYvyOvTqEZVUiz5pqYMucYWcIj4PaNFGhk6kWqQofaKGS7MHD59WYmhLFAveUDJaYSB8IJEcOWRvoedXGNJovbbO_y-qxGwgtAi96Suf217h250LG6amJFEyWsVeIMbfQlHUjvQE5xU_BUK38Kw=w1334-h888-no

Very, very cool. Planning a couple hiking/camping trips there this year.

If not maintained, mountain trails, especially the shelf road design get worse with time. Stuff washes on to the trail from the high side. Stuff falls away on the low side. Plus ruts down the center. Then there's natures bulldozer, the avalanche.

Gravity and water always win.

An extended CSC ROTM to Colorado is worth considering in 2018!

Actual recent pic of me doing BB, extreme pucker factor

d3kyHxI.jpg

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom