BJ75 electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have rewired my electrical system back to OEM (removed the equalizer 12v system) and possibly burnt my starter out in the process… I have a video I can share with anyone on instagram

Basically the preheat light turns off and the glow plugs heat up but it’s either a bad starter or not enough voltage to starter (no multimeter handy) but the batteries were replaced when I rewired it. Also there is a constant exclamation symbol on the dash (parking brake is not engaged). Both exclamation light and preheat symbol flickers madly as if you are turning the lights on and off when I try to crank it.

Also my rear reverse bulb driver side (LHD) does not want to work lol…

Any electrical whizzes on 24v bj75 3b motor out there to help? I tried to scavenge the forum for these symptoms but no help.

Step 1: get a multimeter. Knowing where you have voltage and how much is essential. Also for finding that bad ground, which is probably your issue. Step B: watch YouTube videos to learn how to properly use it. Step III: make up some extension wires. Take 3m of dual speaker wire and attach shielded alligator clips to both ends (4 connection points).
This is a multi use thing to say attach the clips to your starter and the other end to the multimeter all the way in the cab so you can try to start it and see if it’s getting voltage. If it gets voltage, then starter. If not maybe alternator. But first, check your grounding. And the FSM

You need to get a multimeter and test the bus bar, glow plugs (resistance), as well as resting voltage.

You can also remove the starter and apply a charge to it to see that it functions normally, though that is a lot of work to uninstall and reinstall.

Please review all posts made by me about electrical issues relevant to this model. I did some light electrical diagnosing when I first got my truck. The most important effort you can make is to bring your truck back to stock as a means of working out electrical issues. It's clear that most of us have no idea what others have done and why when it comes to the electrical systems of previously owned 70 series.

please post your video on youtube so you can share here, as well.

also let us know which search terms you use to find answers to your questions on this forum. You can even let us know what your specific questions are for the most efficient / fast answer

You need to get a multimeter and test the bus bar, glow plugs (resistance), as well as resting voltage.

You can also remove the starter and apply a charge to it to see that it functions normally, though that is a lot of work to uninstall and reinstall.

Please review all posts made by me about electrical issues relevant to this model. I did some light electrical diagnosing when I first got my truck. The most important effort you can make is to bring your truck back to stock as a means of working out electrical issues. It's clear that most of us have no idea what others have done and why when it comes to the electrical systems of previously owned 70 series.

also let us know which search terms you use to find answers to your questions on this forum. You can even let us know what your specific questions are for the most efficient / fast answer
22ADAD9A-61FA-4A02-8739-026B1E2BF3DB.jpeg

I got it started tried to let it warm up, turned it off and tried to turn it on again and the positive to the starter melted while trying to start again.. 🥲😭

I got a multimeter too. what are the voltages i should be seeing? I feel like it could be a bad ground, alternator overcharging, or something else. It was able to turn over and start/run fine for a bit (save for my egt guage maybe only partially working) The attempt to restart is what fried the terminal I believe.

sos

It sounds like 28v is the avg operating voltage. Mine seems to be climbing based on the multi meter. Should i see ~14.4v off of each battery ?

Step 1: get a multimeter. Knowing where you have voltage and how much is essential. Also for finding that bad ground, which is probably your issue. Step B: watch YouTube videos to learn how to properly use it. Step III: make up some extension wires. Take 3m of dual speaker wire and attach shielded alligator clips to both ends (4 connection points).
This is a multi use thing to say attach the clips to your starter and the other end to the multimeter all the way in the cab so you can try to start it and see if it’s getting voltage. If it gets voltage, then starter. If not maybe alternator. But first, check your grounding. And the FSM
Starter is fine. Either bad alternator or voltage regulator. What is Fsm? I am able to crank and start it but the chassis grounded battery reading climbed up to 15v (good or bad?) and i turned it off out of fear for frying the terminals again …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom