BJ74 Rear Axle Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I got a BJ74 and have owned it for several years, It all started with the LHD conversion and recently ended up getting a full paint job.

Right now I'm swapping some items to finish the conversion and leave at OEM as possible, not including wheels n tires though.

Anyway, an important feature a had always wanted to add was a full floating rear axle, mine is a semi floater type (K082) and it's really difficult to get a replacement in my country. I was aiming first for a complete K084 (factory lockers swap) but came to realize was more a dream than a feasible project. However, a couple of days ago, I found a rear axle from a HZJ77 for sale (LSD) but have no clue if it would be compatible with my rig.

So I came here asking for LC wisdom spread in the forum; I'm sure someone will be able to help me clear this doubt so I'll leave my car and the axle info:

Truck: BJ74 - 13BT engine with A440 transmission

Axle (only info available through ad): LSD, came from a HZJ77 (pics attached)

I could adapt/buy the brake parts missing, but I know the most important aspect is wether the ratio and splines are compatible with my car.

Thanks for your answer.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

I just did this conversion using a 7x FF rear axle housing as well. I used a bare axle housing to start with and then added everything new as was available from Toyota OEM. Everything. All hardware, backing plates, every single brake component, etc. You name it, it was new from Toyota if available.

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

Your gear ratios should be the same between the 13B-T and the 1HZ engine: 4.11

Your main issue is going to be width of the axle housing itself and the location of the spring perches. The axle housing itself should be really close to the SF you took out and the axle shafts will have 30 splines-- so no issues there.

The springs bow out now on my rear axle housing. Ideally the best route would be to cut off the spring perches, measure and then reweld them so that the springs are back in a parallel orientation. I just haven't had the time to deal with that unfortunately yet. Also, the SF and the FF rear axle housings have different length parking brake cable. You will need to make sure you either source the correct one (ie: longer side-to-side) or fabricate brackets to accommodate for the length differential.

Here is how it looks with the new axle housing:

IMG_4425.JPG

The axle track width should be the same. Check the flange bolt pattern to see if it is the same as yours, although it is possible to redrill the different pattern fairly easily.
As beno said you can get all the brake stuff new for it.
I have no idea whether the spring width is the same or not. Worst case you'd have to shift them a bit.

The axle track width should be the same. Check the flange bolt pattern to see if it is the same as yours, although it is possible to redrill the different pattern fairly easily.
As beno said you can get all the brake stuff new for it.
I have no idea whether the spring width is the same or not. Worst case you'd have to shift them a bit.

Explain more please regarding the "flange bolt pattern"? Flange pattern for the diff? For the axle shafts at the hub assy?

I'm slow. I appreciate your assistance.

View attachment 1319286 driveshaft pattern to pinion flange

What about driveshaft bolt pattern has anything to do with the fitment of springs on an axle housing?

All 7x series Heavy Duty trucks have the same front and rear driveshaft companion flange bolt patterns between 10/1984 and mid- 1990's when the front driveshaft went to 04371-60070 Ujoint kits at the differential as well as the front output flange on the transfer case.

Driveshaft hardware also went from 11mm to 10mm.

Well, if the driveshaft bolt pattern is the same, one less thing to worry about. Good.

Hi there,

I got a BJ74 and have owned it for several years, It all started with the LHD conversion and recently ended up getting a full paint job.

Right now I'm swapping some items to finish the conversion and leave at OEM as possible, not including wheels n tires though.

Anyway, an important feature a had always wanted to add was a full floating rear axle, mine is a semi floater type (K082) and it's really difficult to get a replacement in my country. I was aiming first for a complete K084 (factory lockers swap) but came to realize was more a dream than a feasible project. However, a couple of days ago, I found a rear axle from a HZJ77 for sale (LSD) but have no clue if it would be compatible with my rig.

So I came here asking for LC wisdom spread in the forum; I'm sure someone will be able to help me clear this doubt so I'll leave my car and the axle info:

Truck: BJ74 - 13BT engine with A440 transmission

Axle (only info available through ad): LSD, came from a HZJ77 (pics attached)

I could adapt/buy the brake parts missing, but I know the most important aspect is wether the ratio and splines are compatible with my car.

Thanks for your answer.

View attachment 1319061

View attachment 1319062

View attachment 1319063

View attachment 1319064

View attachment 1319065

Hi, did you end up doing this swap? Do you still have the axle?

Hi, did you end up doing this swap? Do you still have the axle?

Hi FJ40,

Yes, fortunately the axle came up to be a direct swap from another BJ74. Just had to disconnect the brake lines and take the leaf springs out.

I had the semi-floating axle for a couple of weeks and another LC owner bought it (aparently spare axles aren't that common here).

Right now I'm having a set of OEM cable-locked axles being overhauled to swap mines; however, the FF axle has been "reserved" by a friend once it comes off.

In the end I'll have a front axle available for sale (out of a BJ74, 4.11 ratio, with disks, complete hub to hub).

Hi BJ74PE,

I am after the disc brake backing plates for the rear. Thanks for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom