BJ74: Draining Fuel Filter of Water/Sediment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, absolute beginner here.

Starting to work on my new-to-me 1988 BJ74 RHD turbo... I'm used to working on old motorcycles, not trucks, so this is me learning to wrench on engines bigger than 650cc.

The fuel-filter light came on and I wanted to address that today along with an oil change. Oil change was fine but the fuel filter release valve at the bottom didn't release much of anything. I undid it 2 1/2 turns as per the manual, nothing. Ending up taking it all the way out, still nothing. A drop or two of water came out but nothing significant warranting a tray.

Is this a sign that the indicator is misreading, or am I missing something?? I'm wary of driving it much before figuring this out to keep from causing any damage.

Helpful thoughts?

Cheers!
Em

Thanks gr8ful! I'll be sure to do this today, but the problem has worsened...

After attempting to drain the sediment I continued on with an oil change (for a small victory) with the plan to return to the fuel filter afterwards.
I ran the engine to check for leaks and all ran smooth. After a half hour I went to drive it around the block and it started sputtering, until finally stalling out halfway down the block.

Now, I'm assuming that air got into the fuel lines while trying to empty the sediment?

Looking for a well labeled legend of the RHD engine bay to make this as smooth as possible!

Cheers!

Got it!
Managed to unblock the sediment valve, break the vacuum with the upper airlock, drain it and then address the air in the fuel lines.

Much easier and straight forward than I'd thought.

Much easier and straight forward than I'd thought.
Its all designed to be done on a dark road in the wilderness at 3am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom