BJ74 Alternator Pivot Bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Does anyone happen to know if it would be bad manners to replace an alternator pivot bolt with a fully threaded bolt?
Heard a clang the other day in my 89 BJ74 only to find the alternator hanging limp. The upper bolt had sheared because the pivot bolt had lost its nut and backed out. The pivot bolts threads are mangled (and my lathe is down). Thinking of just replacing the whole thing with a long machine bolt.

Anyone see a problem with that?

Conversely if someone happened to know what the part number for said bolt would be (cant seem to find it on the EPC) that would also be great.
Thanks!

20171112_155709.jpg

Last edited:
90105-10041 is the bolt for my 88 BJ73. $5.95 on Amayama if you can wait. It looks the same as what you picture. I would try to find a grade 8 bolt that matched as closely as possible and be looking for the real deal.

Cant you go to and nut and bolt supplier and get them to match one up?
Or get a piece of rod, have a thread put on each end with a nut.

Go for it. I just dealt with this replacing my alternator. Sourced a grade 8 metric machine bolt that was even zinc plated. I had to tap the adjuster block to a slightly different pitch (metric fine instead of JIS) but it works great and was cheap. Not worth waiting for a bolt that may or may not show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom