Wanted BJ73 soft top kit ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if anyone knows how I can get a soft top and all necessary parts for my BJ73? How much they cost , different types and brands etc?

Thanks for your input .

@theferg looked into this and @joekatana had some kits at one point but as I recall the manufacturer wasn't making them anymore.

I have said it before but I will say it again. Going the OEM soft top route requires a lot of OEM parts that a FRP top cruiser doesn't have and it can get expensive real quick (and it is not a simple back and forth conversion).

That aftermarket kit that @joekatana brought in one time was probably the best option if it was still being made.

Thanks for the reply’s ! Someone should start making them . There is going to be plenty of them coming into the country over the next ten years.

Thanks for the reply’s ! Someone should start making them . There is going to be plenty of them coming into the country over the next ten years.

Maybe in rhd but in lhd the sales from Toyota in the 70 series dropped dramastically from 1995 on and the mwb with removable top disappeared after 2002 and if you look in the classifieds all over Europe you will only find a handful 98-02's

Swb and lwb 7x models are no problem as they are still being made today but the true rare bird will turn out to be the mwb removable top in years to come, I already found my one owner 98 HZJ73 lhd with ac and lockers as a keeper and unless I find the same one available as a 02 it won't be for sale , the hunt for a perfect KZJ73VX is on for a couple years now but that one seems even harder to find the right one...….at the right price

Maybe in rhd but in lhd the sales from Toyota in the 70 series dropped dramastically from 1995 on and the mwb with removable top disappeared after 2002 and if you look in the classifieds all over Europe you will only find a handful 98-02's

Swb and lwb 7x models are no problem as they are still being made today but the true rare bird will turn out to be the mwb removable top in years to come, I already found my one owner 98 HZJ73 lhd with ac and lockers as a keeper and unless I find the same one available as a 02 it won't be for sale , the hunt for a perfect KZJ73VX is on for a couple years now but that one seems even harder to find the right one...….at the right price
There are tons of them for sale in Columbia still. I guess Venezuela never got them however.

what are some of the classifieds abroad to keep an eye out ? websites?

I was down in Columbia recently and noticed there were quite a few gas 73 series cruisers (I believe they were FZJ73's). Many had soft tops, so I looked up a company (more of a mom and pop upholstery shop) that made them. My Spanish is great, but they wouldn't make one without seeing the car as they didn't have the dimensions recorded. They estimated the cost would be about 600USD though, which seemed pretty fair. If anyone had a drawing, I would take it down next time I go and see if they will try to make one from the drawing. Still need the frame to mount it to though.

I am about to put a soft top on my FJ70 and nearly all the parts are easily available from the GRJ71. However I need the rear channels to take the soft top as my truck was delivered with just a hardtop in Colombia. I can't find part numbers or diagrams that show these parts. Does anyone know the part numbers, and if they are NLA could I get them fabricated? I'm also looking back home in Australia from a wrecked Bundy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

channels.jpg

FJ soft top frame.jpg

IMG_1111.JPG

@FJ73Texas , that truck of yours you sold (with the soft top) just haunts me every day.

I am about to put a soft top on my FJ70 and nearly all the parts are easily available from the GRJ71. However I need the rear channels to take the soft top as my truck was delivered with just a hardtop in Colombia. I can't find part numbers or diagrams that show these parts. Does anyone know the part numbers, and if they are NLA could I get them fabricated? I'm also looking back home in Australia from a wrecked Bundy.

View attachment 2090830

View attachment 2090831

View attachment 2090832

View attachment 2090834

View attachment 2090838
The FJ Company I know has the ability to source the parts in Columbia , but getting them to do it for you is doubtful.

View attachment 2090830

View attachment 2090831

View attachment 2090832

View attachment 2090834

View attachment 2090838

Hello. We make soft-tops and frames for both the 70 and 73/74 series. Let me know if you need any help...

$1800 shipped for both the top and frames is a steal, depending on the quality of fit and finish.

@FJ73Texas , are you going to Jimmy's barn Saturday? Would be cool to meet up, I'll be in the neighborhood Friday night thru Sunday morning

Hijack over, sorry

$1800 shipped for both the top and frames is a steal, depending on the quality of fit and finish.
That's about the same price as the Toyota OEM top from the GRJ71 so I will go with that - but obviously that's only good for a 70 not a 73. I just need the body strips off a wrecked Bundy.

Good luck @BK70 if you are going OEM. It will be more than $1800 when you are done with the conversion for sure. If anyone can help you complete this process, it would be Dave Stedman at Japan4x4.

I did purchase a new OEM soft top for my FJ73 when I had it and that by itself was $1,100 (IIRC) alone shipped in from Japan. That is why I said $1800 is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom