BJ42 amp meter issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since has long has i can remember my original amp meter in the cluster never really moved.

So lately i had the cluster in my had to clean it up and remove the light dome for more light in the cluster at night. I also cleaned the 3 pins plug ( i beleive that plug is for the amp meter). The first time i started the truck after i put back the cluster in, the needle moved a tiny bit to the right just to move out of total vertical, thats all, and it never moved again..

What could be my issue? real bad contact with the connector? How should i go to rule out the meter itslef? use a amp meter stick it in that plug and see how things goes when i rev the truck? What should be the amp i read?

Thanks!

iirc the BJ42 ammeter is something like +/- 60 amps (120A total swing) ... the alternator only puts out 20A. You do the math... if you're really paying attention then a twitch of the needle is all you'll ever see (unless something really serious is wrong).

~John

iirc the BJ42 ammeter is something like +/- 60 amps (120A total swing) ... the alternator only puts out 20A. You do the math... if you're really paying attention then a twitch of the needle is all you'll ever see (unless something really serious is wrong).

~John

It is +/- 50 amps, right now it moves 1/64 inchs on rare occasion. 20/50 should make the needle move a good 3/16" to 1/4". Somethings up with it...

Who ever has a BJ42 where the needle goes in your case?

It is +/- 50 amps, right now it moves 1/64 inchs on rare occasion. 20/50 should make the needle move a good 3/16" to 1/4". Somethings up with it...

Who ever has a BJ42 where the needle goes in your case?

You'll rarely, if ever, get a load of 20A on your system.

In the 17 years I've had my main BJ42, the needle only twitched a little more than a millimetre or two when one of the batteries was misbehaving.... otherwise just ignore the ammeter. It's pretty darn near useless, and just serves to fill a hole in the instrument cluster.

You'll rarely, if ever, get a load of 20A on your system.

In the 17 years I've had my main BJ42, the needle only twitched a little more than a millimetre or two when one of the batteries was misbehaving.... otherwise just ignore the ammeter. It's pretty darn near useless, and just serves to fill a hole in the instrument cluster.

Thanks!

I've had my BJ-42 for about four years now and have NEVER seen that needle move. I've long felt that I'd rather have a voltmeter than an ammeter; however, such is life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom