Bj40 charging diagnosis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone ive tried looking online and all my books dont show anything for 24v. (Its a 1978 bj40)
With engine running, anything electical on, my amp meter is over on the negative side. I am not familiar with this charging system and wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for it or can explain what the first things to check for involving diagnosing it. Batteries are only 2yrs old.

Im taking it out tomorrow for a pleasure cruise and hoping i can have this figured out before hand

Any help would truly be appreciated! Cheers :)

I can't help much but I also have 24V vehicle.

I would disconnect battery clamps and clean all of them.
I would look at the alternator electrical terminals and connections: clean them too.
Also investigate ground wire connections.

If you have a multi-meter you could run engine and check voltage between alternator + terminal and ground.
Should be greater than 24V.

Is it happening at idle or all the time? Mine will show low voltage at idle with lights on but goes back to normal once I start moving.

With engine running, anything electrical on, my amp meter is over on the negative side

I think the BJ40 24v has a 30 amp alternator, so its not making much to start with.
As the others have said, clean up the wiring including the earths at the engine and/or chassis.
Check the fan belt that turns the alternator
Next step will be to get the output of the alternator checked if you cant do it yourself.

I have had a similar issue. The output is extremely low and there is a draw on the battery when the lights are turned on. How is your voltage regulator looking?

I can't offer much help. I've sent mine to a shop after having someone look at the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom