BJ-70 wheel backspacing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the OEM rim is 3,5"

Everything less the 3,5" can fit.

I use a 16" rim with 3,75"

Last edited:
coldtaco said:
Looking for a new set of alu wheels for my BJ-70. Was wondering what the stock back spacing is and what range of back spacing one can use? Thanks.

Same BS as the later 4* series, and all 6* series...

3.5" BS. You can go deeper with 16" rims as they will clear the TRE's, however you lose total width. What size tires are you planning on running?

Here is a thread on some wheels that work: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=86386

There is tons of discussion in the 60 and 40 areas about this. I would not run the 1/4" spacers with aluminum wheels, as the aluminum already is quite thick and with the 1/4" spacers you are grabbing even less stud thread. Clearing your front calipers is the issue.

hth's

gb

I'm looking for a 255/85R/16 size, tall and skinny. I screwed up when I ordered my Marks gears and got the set with the "higher?" overdrive, rpms are way higher at highway speeds, so need to compensate without ordering a new set of gears and trying to sell these. Got any ideas? Don't want 15" wheels as they don't leave enought space between the rear break drums when you run in mud, the clearance is real tight but works.

I'm driving 255-85s on stock 16" rims with zero offset, without any spacers and the stock 4.11 ratio.

15504.jpg

So ... the 70 isn't the fastest anymore, but its quite comfortable.

greetings

coldtaco said:
I'm looking for a 255/85R/16 size, tall and skinny. I screwed up when I ordered my Marks gears and got the set with the "higher?" overdrive, rpms are way higher at highway speeds, so need to compensate without ordering a new set of gears and trying to sell these. Got any ideas? Don't want 15" wheels as they don't leave enought space between the rear break drums when you run in mud, the clearance is real tight but works.

Bummer. I was waffling between the 1:08/3:05 and the 1:00/3:05. The 13BT is enough to push 35"s in high range at 1:0, and the 3:05 low would be perfect for 95% situations. I was not quick enough on the ball either and ended up with the under/under gears. They are not installed yet, and I was going to use them as an excuse for SOA on the BJ74 and 9.00R16's :)

I have some under/unders in Poo right now, with 35's, 4:11's, and an H55F. They are small 35's, measuring at 33.5" (Wild Country TRX). I need to check my speedo with a GPS, however I think I am pretty close, and I am at 2500rpm on the highway at 105kph. It's an older gearset...I would need earplugs if road tripping.

The long winded reason for this is make sure whatever 255's you end up with are as close to true 33.3"s as you can get. You'll want as much tire as possible with the underdrive in there. My 255/85R16 Cooper S/T measure 31.5". Petra's 255/85R16 Toyo M-55's are larger and have to be approaching 32.5" to 33.0".

As for wheels? I've no idea about aluminum rims and what will fit. We have some stock 16x6 aluminum rims (5) in the shop, however some people consider them too skinny for 255's. The Unique steel 16x7 is just about right...You could get some with the 4" BS, then run 1.25"-1.5" bolt on spacers, giving you a tad more width, more clearance for mud...etc. Or custom order them to 3.5" and run as is. How stuck on Aluminum are you?

hth's

gb

Well, lets see. When I got the gears finally installed and drove home it took me 7hrs, 58mph, verses about 5.5hrs for the same distance:-( if driving 70mph. before the gear change and the winter tires 2400rpm would give me about 68mph. When I drove back 2400rpm would give me about 58mph. I sure could climg mountains though:) I would have to back off of the go pedal to keep accelerating up most hills, just at 58mph. So, I put my 33x12.5x15 bfg mt on and rpms have come down some, 55mph at 2200rpm (before about 2100rpm), 65mph at 2500rpm.
So, I figure that if I can get a tall 255/85/16, this should help a little better getting the rpm's back. This tire would also be bfg mt. Will keep these tires on for a tank full to see how they affect my mpg. I'm trying to get everything back as close to before without ordering a new gear set with the stock overdrive, unless you know of someone that would like to buy my set?
American Racing AR-172 or 117 was what I was looking for,16x8, but they come in 4.5" backspacing. I did find the M/T classic II in the same size comes with a 3 5/8" backspacing, so I think I will try and get these. I am looking for a set of winter tires, studable, to put on the original rims that came with it when I got this from Sheldon. I can't believe that the Cooper ST is more expensive than the bfg mt in this size, and that is without studs. What a racket they got here. Anyway, end of my story for now:)

Is 'backspacing' and 'offset' the same measurement?

Between what two points is it measured?

For example if one wanted a wider track, how would the BS or offset change from the 3.5" standard LC wheel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom