Birfs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
whats the differance between the 1970 Birfs and the 1979 BirfsI was looking to get some longfields on my 1970 FJ40 but they say thier for 79 and up. will they work or will I need to do some modifing?

70 birfs are course 6 spline birfs while 79 and up are the fine 30 spline.

From the Tech Trivia link way at the top of the page: http://www.ih8mud.com/techtrivia.php
# 68-75 Cruiser drum brake birfields, coarse 6-spline outers
# 76-78 Cruiser birfields - slightly smaller bell and slightly longer stub shaft than later Cruiser and minitruck, fine spline
# 01/79-01/90 Cruiser birfields (?J40/45/47/55/56/60/61/62) = Minitruck birfields(79-90 mini/hilux/surf)

To make the 79 and newer birf fit you need to grind a little in the knuckle to fit. While you're at it do a disc brake swap.

it already has the a disk break swap in it. does that mean it might have a differant spline than stock.
Also Will an 88 FJ62 Birfs fit if it is a fine thread?

Last edited:
it already has the a disk break swap in it. does that mean it might have a differant spline than stock.

What kind of disc brake conversion is it?

What do your front calipers look like?

Post up some pictures!

Fine spline?

If you have fine spline outers currently, then yes the 62 outers will work as well...

Again, post up pictures of what you have.

Hi All:

Land Cruiser front axle CV joints (aka "Birfields") are interchangeable from 1979-92 (for North American market vehicles.)

Pre-1976 "Birfs" were coarse (6) spline at the drive plates (or, lock-out hubs.) 1976 and up Birfs were fine (27) spline at the hub end.

The 1968-78 Birfields were longer than the '79 and up units. So, the 1976-78 fine-spline Birfs are a bit odd-ball, but can be replaced with the '79 and up units with little trouble.

If this 1970 FJ40 has front disc brakes but coarse-spline Birfields that means it likely has the Wilwood disc brake conversion for drum-brake Land Cruisers sold by Man-A-Fre in years past. Whether it can be upgraded to the fine-spline Birfs I do not know.

Good luck!

Alan

Hi All:

Land Cruiser front axle CV joints (aka "Birfields") are interchangeable from 1979-92 (for North American market vehicles.)

1979-1990 NOT 1992; 1991 to 1997 are the larger 80 series bud.

:beer:

I can't get the pics but I do have a 30 spline axle. couldthis mean I have a fj60 axle under my 40?

Take one lockout out and pull the outer axle shaft as far as it will go toward you and measure the part that extends beyound the wheel hub, then post the measurment.
If you really want to know what outer axle shafts you have. You will find out.:popcorn:

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

It is a 30 spline but shorter than a fj62 axle. what year and model are my axles. can you tell by these pics or do you need more info

Hi All:

Ah, you caught me Steve! I was going on what is posted in the $OR online catalog, not fully thinking about the differences between the FJ80 and the FZJ80 (i.e. front diff changed in the 1993 year but front CVs changed in 1990!)

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------
1979-1990 NOT 1992; 1991 to 1997 are the larger 80 series bud.

:beer:

I got it the 88 fj 62 fit I just needed to gind them down a bit.

Don't listen to us Seattlites. We all have water on the brain! :bounce:

Hi All:

Ah, you caught me Steve! I was going on what is posted in the $OR online catalog, not fully thinking about the differences between the FJ80 and the FZJ80 (i.e. front diff changed in the 1993 year but front CVs changed in 1990!)

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the pics and the measuments.
This is a stock disc brake 40 axle (76-78).
The mini birfs will be about 1/2" shorter.

I got it the 88 fj 62 fit I just needed to gind them down a bit.

Make sure you grind in the knuckle ball itself and not the birf! You'll just revisit your current problem. After you grind the knuckle and fit the birf, make sure you can turn the birf inside the knuckle without any problems. Mine fit in without a problem but got hung up when I tried to turn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom