Biomax's '88 FJ2 Build-Up Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, finally have time to start the build-up on my '88 FJ62.

For those of you who don't know, she's a well-worn, Gray exterior, brown interior (pics will follow shortly), 154k miles, no power package, cruiser.

Here's the agenda:
Step 1 - Complete tuneup, fluids, hoses, etc., brakes (see below), suspension, wheels/tires.

Step 2 - Exterior - black out, new paint.

Step 3 - Interior - swap to gray, re-do seats, carpet to rubber in cargo, storage, etc.

Step 4 - Bumpers / Roof Rack

Step 5 - 6.2L diesel swap

So, since I'm starting Step 1 this week, I have some questions before I order parts. If you have personal knowledge regarding any of the following, I'd appreciate your advice.

1) Brakes- I've heard pros/cons about changing the rears from drum to disc. I agree that most braking is done via the fronts, so am inclined to leave the rears as-is (albeit doing a rear brake job to freshen them up). The fronts is the bigger question. I've heard about the Toyota 4-Runner calipers and master cyllinder upgrade. I've seen the MAF upgrade kit:
MAF Front Brake Upgrade Kit 40 and 60 Series

Anyone have any thoughts on the kit. I think it'd be easier to pick it up all at once instead of piecing the 4-Runner setup together. I know cost is double (at least) w/ the MAF package, but the convenience is greater in my opinion.

I'm looking for thought as to which (if either) is better - stopping wise.

2) Suspension. I'm going to go with the MAF kit (unless someone can point me to a similar kit elsewhere):
MAF Old Man Emu Suspension Systems

I'm thinking the deluxe/heavy kit, as I'll be adding heavy bumpers (front w/ winch, rear w/ tire, gas cans & ladder), roof rack, and eventually doing a diesel engine swap. I'll also go w/ the extended SS brake lines at the same time.

Any thoughts that this may be overkill (heavy) - I don't really think so, but would like to confirm before ordering.

Thanks everyone - I hope to update this thread every few weeks.

Robert

How long until the diesel swap? I only ask because you said you were tuning the 3FE. From what I have read, the 4-runner caliper swap is an easy job and not to hard to piece together. Goto vatozone, get loaded 4runner calipers and swap them. Some grinding can be expected. Someone else can chime in about the master cylinder.

Shop for prices on the OME kit. Check Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. MAF charges an arm and a leg to ship.

The search tool is your friend.

Diesel Swap

I just bought the '88 w/i the last month. So I need to do a complete tune up to take care of any gremlins in the short term.

I anticipate the diesel swap happening in spring/summer '09. I think the rest will keep me busy through next March at least.

As for "search tool" I've spent 100s of hours here and read so many differing opinions, I thought I'd just make it part of my thread as well. I know MAF if pricy, but I hadn't seen it all together like that anywhere else. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Thanks.

Robert

Additional thought

Just checked out cruiser outfitter's OME kit. It is NOT the same as MAF's. CO's is missing the extended sway bar links, and CO's is $150 more. After comparing apples to apples (incl. shipping) is CO really cheaper?

thx

Robert

brake lines

i just finished a OME heavy plus suspension lift. its a little stink bug but i like it. as far as the SS extended brake lines, you don't need them. i reinstalled the factory soft lines and have had no issues wheeling. i don't use my 62 to rock crawl or any hardcore wheeling. its more of an expedition purpose.

i also looked into doing a 4runner set up during my suspension upgrade. it was practical for my application. i haven't had a chance to raise my LSPV back to the factory hight but my cruiser pritty much stops on a dime (kind of). decide based on what you intend to use your cruiser for.

hope this helps. by the way i ordered my heavy plus from Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters, he's way helpful in tech stuff. good luck

Just checked out cruiser outfitter's OME kit. It is NOT the same as MAF's. CO's is missing the extended sway bar links, and CO's is $150 more. After comparing apples to apples (incl. shipping) is CO really cheaper?

thx

Robert

you don't need to reinstall the sway bars unless you really want to. alot of guys here on the mud don't use them. the OME leafs are stout enough. there is a little lean going around curves, but landcruisers aren't race cars.

I'm running OME heavy front/med rear (with air bags). In the front I ran extended sway bar links for a couple of years. A couple of months ago I finally got around to making some extended adjustable links for the rear. I definitely noticed a difference. So much so that I decided to spring for one of man-a-fre's heavy duty front sway bars (24mm) right before I left on my current road trip. Again, noticed a pretty significant difference. My wife even commented on how much better it handled. Everyone's different and loads and uses their cruiser differently but for me, especially given how much mountain highway driving I do, the sway bar upgrades were definitely worth it.

if it helps at all i just put 89 4runner calipers on my 62, and they fit fine, i do run 1/8th inch spacers but i dont think that equates in there.... make sure you get the V6 calipers.

Thanks

Thanks everyone - a few follow-ups.

Besides the calipers (and MC) are there any other parts needed?

I think I'll go w/ the OME for now w/ extended sway bar links (and brake lines) and then see if I want to upgrade the sway bars (I bet I will) later.

Currently tearing down the interior while waiting to take her in for the suspension/brake work.

Got most of the rear interior apart/removed. I decided to keep the headliner (think I'll steam clean it). I can't believe the crap under the carpet. I've found a few dollars in change and SO MANY pens/pencils! Removed the carpet/rubber from the rear seat and found a light coat of rust. I think I'll see if the leather installer can take care of that when they re-do the seats.

Here's a question. I'm thinking of NOT putting the carpet back in the cargo area. Instead, I like the rubberized surfaces I've seen some of you have. Any opinions as to which to avoid? (for example, I'm leaning toward the $OR tuff tread floor/cargo liners ($150 for back of rear seat and cargo floor). I want it to stay put and cover nicely (no gaps/yet lay flat).

Thanks.

Robert

Robert
I would atleast put in a layer of sound deadener under the mat if your not going to do carpet. I put in 1 layer sound deadener then carpet then a mat that covers the carpet when i do not have my drawers in the back. if the drawers go in then the rubber mat sits on top of the box. other option is to use tuffliner or some product like that to cover all the back area of the truck. really depends on preferance and use of the truck. mine is for camping and fishing crap. No big dogs anymore so dont have to worry about that.

Dave

4Runner Brake/Wheel question

Will the Pro Comp Wheels (Series 97) fit (3.75" backspacing) with 33x10.5's w/o having to grind the calipers?

thx

Robert

Thanks - I was thinking of getting new felt underlayment ($OR as well) - but that may not work well under the rubber. Thoughts?

If that's not a good combo, then I'll likely put dynamat (or equivalent) underneath the rubber.

Basically, I pulled all the cargo trim/carpet yesterday. I like the look. I can get to the tie downs easier (think I'll cut flaps in the rubber for the tie downs). I'll put plastic panels over the quarters with quick release tabs to get to the tools, etc. (These'll match the tailgate lid from Wagongear.com.)

Robert

Thanks - I was thinking of getting new felt underlayment ($OR as well) - but that may not work well under the rubber. Thoughts?

If that's not a good combo, then I'll likely put dynamat (or equivalent) underneath the rubber.

Basically, I pulled all the cargo trim/carpet yesterday. I like the look. I can get to the tie downs easier (think I'll cut flaps in the rubber for the tie downs). I'll put plastic panels over the quarters with quick release tabs to get to the tools, etc. (These'll match the tailgate lid from Wagongear.com.)

Robert

I'm deaf (nearly) so the noise does not bother me at all and am going with the SOR rubber carpet like mats front and rear, when ever I get the BT that far, but they are in the shop waiting for install. Currently waiting for the rebuilt axels to install the OMF Heavy springs and rest of the lift. But several people who have put the rubber Sor mats have complained about the heat, so you may want to underline. Your call. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom