Bilstein 5100s and what springs for stock height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in the middle of researching with the goal of removing my currently "close to tired" suspension and replacing the rear airbags with springs. I found a lot of info from years ago on the t4r forums, but would like honest opinions and real life experiences on the GX. It's a slow process with the goal of having everything swapped for summer.

This GX is less of a 'build' but more of a 'rebuild/maintenance.' I would like to keep the ride height as close to stock as possible with maybe an inch to 1.5" max if anything. It's a family hauler for daily duties when I need to bring the family out. No plans of hardcore offroading or touring/overlanding this rig as my FJC has filled that role over the years. I do alot of pavement queen trips to the grocery store, children's museum, Sushi Bar, and Target. ;) Want to go these places in style. jk

Anyways, here's the set up I was thinking of-

-Metal tech vs SSO rear coil conversion
-Bilstein 5100s front and rear
-OME 895E (1.5") or any suggestions that will get me close to stock height? (Don't want a huge lift for this rig). I read that OEM springs from an FJ or T4R tend to sag under load.
-What springs should I pair the 5100s with in the front? Stock GX springs, '08 OEM FJ springs that I have in the garage, Tacoma springs or OME 883 (leveling springs)? How do the stock springs perform with the 5100s if I go that route? Will the OME 883 sit too high if I pair it with the 895E?

**On a side note,
How do you guys differentiate in the way the GX responds to 265/70/17 ATs coming from Stock 265/65/17 passenger tires? I haven't found much online in detail on how much of a loss it is with MPG, gearing, and acceleration. I love how the vvti ('06) v8 is quick to respond when stepped on the pedal and I feel it has decent gas mileage compared to my sluggish FJC on 285/70/17 (early gen V6 240hp).

Lots of questions when you have a new rig with the itch to start modding, some may be silly questions, but thanks!

Going from 265/65 to 265/70 is a tiny increase in height it made zero difference for me. It also depends on what tires you get since some are much heavier and thus more difficult to turn than others.

if you want a minor lift, I would suggest the toytec springs at bottom perch on 5100's. Its what I am running.

Here’s a side shot of mine. Toytec 2” rear and 884 ome front on lowest perch of the 5100 Bilstein. I’m replacing them soon to go with a taller spring and winch bumper.

5744636A-8A75-4A66-91E3-DB44534E43C9.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want stock height to replace airbags I just used AllDogs Offroad conversion kit with Dobinson C59-323 springs. You have to pay attention to the different conversion kits as some add additional lift.

I wanted to install new shocks but they weren't in the budget.

Last edited:
If minimal lift is your goal, go with the MT conversion not the SSO. SSO adds a minimum of 3/4".

IIRC, the MOOG replacement rear spring for an FJC adds a little bit of height and is lightly heavier duty (no personal experience on this).

The 265/70r17 tire size is a very minor change and you shouldnt see any difference but should have a larger selection of tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom