Bilstein 5100 installed incorrectly I suspect (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I had a guy install new Bilstein 5100's and I feel almost a float feeling in front end, slight, but there and the rack is new, and all other front end components (suspension new as well). I also hear a bang when I back up and turn left coming from the left front of truck. The only thing we can see is on the Bilsteins in front right side, the nut on top of shock is threaded down pretty far, exposing 1/2 inch or so of the "rod" coming out of top if that makes sense. The other side, that nut is not threaded down very far as all, hardly exposing the rod on that side. Can I tighten these while on car? I tried to tighten that nut with a 19 wrench, but the whole shock just spinned. I then tried to hold that rod and turn the nut, but could not tighten or move. Anybody know what I need to do, or do I need to remove the whole shock and springs and redo job?

Hi, I had a guy install new Bilstein 5100's and I feel almost a float feeling in front end, slight, but there and the rack is new, and all other front end components (suspension new as well). I also hear a bang when I back up and turn left coming from the left front of truck. The only thing we can see is on the Bilsteins in front right side, the nut on top of shock is threaded down pretty far, exposing 1/2 inch or so of the "rod" coming out of top if that makes sense. The other side, that nut is not threaded down very far as all, hardly exposing the rod on that side. Can I tighten these while on car? I tried to tighten that nut with a 19 wrench, but the whole shock just spinned. I then tried to hold that rod and turn the nut, but could not tighten or move. Anybody know what I need to do, or do I need to remove the whole shock and springs and redo job?

You can use a strap wrench or something similar to hold the shock body to keep it from spinning. Alternatively, if you can access it, the top of the shock bolt is squared off and can usually be held with a smaller wrench while you tighten the top nut.

What vehicle are we dealing with here?

Sorry guys! Yes its a 2003 Lexus GX470. I tried holding that squared off bolt at top and turning the nut but once I held the squared off bolt, I could no longer turn the nut. Without holding the squared off bolt, the nut just spins super easy but the whole shock spins with it

Sorry guys! Yes its a 2003 Lexus GX470. I tried holding that squared off bolt at top and turning the nut but once I held the squared off bolt, I could no longer turn the nut. Without holding the squared off bolt, the nut just spins super easy but the whole shock spins with it

I think it’s possible the top not is cross threaded. Try removing it and take a look at the threads on top of the shock. Hopefully the mechanic didn’t crank on it to the point that it’s toast. Clean up the threads and try to reinstall the nut. It may be a PITA but the squared tip of the shock post is designed to use a wrench to hold it while tightening the nut.

OK, maybe so, I will take it off and see what they look like, any issue if I take off the nut with shock popping up (if that makes sense)?

OK, maybe so, I will take it off and see what they look like, any issue if I take off the nut with shock popping up (if that makes sense)?
No issue, it’s compressed and the pressure will keep it in place, ie it won’t drop out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom