Big trip coming up: any preventative maintenance I should do? (2008 4Runner) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders!

I have a 2008 4Runner limited with moderate offroading mods (3 inch OME lift + 32” BFGs). It has 135k miles and has been well maintained by the original owner and me (second owner).

We are about to go on a long trip (west to east coast, and back). All on-road travel. About 5,000 miles.

Question: is there any preventative maintenance you recommend we do? In particular, we’d hate to breakdown on I-80 in the middle of nowhere. :)

Also, in general, I would like to maximize the reliability of the vehicle because we will be doing some offroad trips in the next 6 months where the issue will be important (Death Valley; Lost Coast).

Here are the items I think are relevant as well as their status:
  • Brakes: new front pads/rotors, rears are fine
  • Brake fluid: just flushed
  • Battery: works fine, replaced 18 months ago (Costco)
  • Spark plugs: done at 120k in 2018
  • Diff/xfer case fluids: changed at 113k in 2018
  • Water pump: replaced at 100k in 2016
  • Thermostat: original (not sure why the PO didn’t replace with water pump)
  • Oil change/air filters: just replaced

Any reason to replace the thermostat?

Radiator is original, but seemingly no problems. Fine to leave as is?

Anything else you’d recommend?

Thank you!

Charley

Looks well maintained. You didn’t mention when the coolant and transmission fluids were last flushed and maybe change the thermostat.

My 2008 Lexus LS460 with 165k miles just overheated on me due to a stuck thermostat. I had to tow it to repair shop and the plastic reservoir was a little melted inside enough to require replacing as well.

Last edited:
Looks well maintained. You didn’t mention when the coolant and transmission fluids were last flushed and maybe change the thermostat.

My 2008 Lexus LS460 with 165k miles just overheated on me due to a stuck thermostat. I had to tow it to repair shop and the plastic reservoir was a little melted inside enough to require replacing as well.
Agreed... perhaps the only thing I'd add is to grease the drive shaft(s). Not that it would result in failure, more so overall preventative. Maybe inspect all suspension components and rubber bushings/ mounts.

Something like a bad bushing can degrade ride quality over 5K miles - though I'll defer to the other experts on this forum that are much more knowledgeable than I :)

Thanks folks!

Yes, I had the ATF fluid changed @ 112k (so good there)

Yes, I grease the drive shafts annually-ish.

I went ahead and just had the radiator/hoses/thermostat/cap replaced. $550. Felt odd replacing "working" parts, but it will buy me some piece of mind and hopefully reliability.

Thanks folks!

Yes, I had the ATF fluid changed @ 112k (so good there)

Yes, I grease the drive shafts annually-ish.

I went ahead and just had the radiator/hoses/thermostat/cap replaced. $550. Felt odd replacing "working" parts, but it will buy me some piece of mind and hopefully reliability.

Did you notice any change in engine bay temp after you replaced the parts? I want to do the same. Engine bay gets really warm and I'm starting to not trust my thermostat.

Last edited:
If you are afraid of trusting the gauge in the dash, I suggest buying a cheap bluetooth dongle that goes into the OBDII port. Then get something like OBD Fusion. You can setup gauges with the program to give you the actual numerical value read by the sensors. It also allows you to read the codes, should one pop up, so you know if it is a major deal or if you just forgot to tighten the gas cap. I use this when I am on the trail so I can monitor my AT temp levels and coolant temp.

IMG_3818.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom