BIG BEND TRIP....April 18th-22nd. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am planning on heading to West Texas on Wednesday, April 18th (afternoon/evening and returning home on Sunday, April 22nd. It will be an expeditionary type wheeling trip to see some of the most beautiful country in Texas. We normaly see various wildlife and some interesting views. I have posted some pictures of previous trips on this forum...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=134092

My family has an adobe house located on Terlingua Ranch that will sleep 7-8 people comfortably. It has 2 bunk beds, a trundle bed and one full size bed (mine). It also has a working kitchen with gas stove, oven, and refrigerator.... and most importantly...2 bathrooms. (no cost, of course)

If the beds fill up, there are places for primative camping close by....or you can stay in a cabin at the Terlingua Ranch Lodge. Cabins are $51.00 per night for one person or $60.00 per night for two. For more information on the lodge...

http://www.terlinguaranch.com/

It will be a great trip. If you are interested.....post up and let me know how many are coming.

I will try to be online as often as possible to answer questions should any arrive, but I dont have internet at my apartment yet....or you can call me at 214-683-6269. (my cell phone)

Thanks.....Chris S. Smith
Terlingua ranch map.jpg

Terlingua Ranch is outside of the park. Certain areas of it border the Park.

I just got back from Big Bend on Wednesday night; my college buddies and I made a run down there for a week or so. We took my FJ60, an FJ40 (xum40's truck), and a CJ-7.

The temperature was nice and cool. We spent time in Terlingua (which is f'in awesome), Santa Elena Canyon, and ran the River Road (camped at Loop Camp 1) and Grapevine Hills. We covered right at 250 miles in the park. I would strongly recommend anyone who lives in Texas to check it out if you've never been.

I'd love to make this next run, but got too much going on at work. I'll try to post some motivational pics soon.

In. :cool: Hey Chris, which way do you usually go out there?

I have found that it is quickest to take 20 west to Monohans.
Take Hwy 18 South to FM 1776. Stay on 1776 through Coyanosa all the way to IH10. When you cross over IH10, 1776 will turn into US67. Take US67 until it dead-ends into Hwy 90. Go West on Hwy90 into Alpine. When you pass the McDonalds on 90, look for Hwy 118 south. (Just before the Town and Country gas station). ALPINE IS THE LAST TOWN/CITY YOU WILL HIT BEFORE TERLINGUA RANCH, SO TOP OFF YOUR TANKS. Take Hwy 118 until the entrance to Terlingua Ranch.

I will try to get the GPS coordinates of the adobe soon.

If you can wait for me, we can convoy on down. There is safety in numbers and I have no aversion to driving slowly......

Big Bend Trip

I'll be pulling out of San Antonio Wednesday afternoon to meet up with everyone in Alpine or Marathon.

This is going to be a freak'in awesome trip!

Last edited:
This is a very, very cool video. What really makes it is the Pink Floyd. I have some good stories about my wife and I (pre kid of course) following the band for a few shows during their last tour in the early 90's. We'll discuss around beer and booze.

Thanks for the GPS coordinates. Can't wait to hit the road.

Have any of you guys ever tried to drive the length of South County Road/North County Road from Terlingua to 118?
I tried it two years ago but only made it half way before the road disappeared and turned to trenches.
Being alone and in a Range Rover Classic, I thought it best to retreat and return with a more reliable truck and at least a second vehicle.
My only concern was staying off someone's property. The lady at the Terlingua Store said if I stayed on the county road, I should be OK. That road passes right next to the 3 Bar Ranch and while it seems to avoid their property, I'm really not sure. It would be a fun challenge to complete the road if it were legal to do so.

I was making plans on coming up thrusday evening in the ford but my girlfriend reminded me we have tickets to nicklecreek at flores country store. Its been planed for a while so I am going to have to skip on this trip.

Ouch.

I was making plans on coming up thrusday evening in the ford but my girlfriend reminded me we have tickets to nicklecreek at flores country store. Its been planed for a while so I am going to have to skip on this trip.

OK I realize I'm a huge dork, but if we're in the area and if we have time, I want to go HERE sometime.
It's one of my favorite movies and I just found this site that has the filming locations listed in the area. I'll probably save it for when I can spend more time down there...

Chris, I am planning on caravaning down with you. Just let me know when and where to meet you.

cel 214.912.5859

umm, spy kids? you're right. you are a huge dork.
but, i love logan's run, so i guess i am , too. jenny agutter, mmmmmm.....
i wish i could make this trip. maybe do it again in the fall? i'd love to bring the bikes out for some saddle time. that would be killer.
chris, you get the sliders on? when you get back i might see when you are available for a little installation party. it's a surprise, but it will be awesome. take some good pics, and get some good vid for us poor unlucky souls that can't make it.
you guys better be going to colorado this year, though. third week of august, and i'm not prepared to accept any excuses!!!
you guys have fun, ya huge dorks!!:eek: (i said dorks, you pervs!!)

Hell Yes!

Oh man……. This IS my favorite movie of all time. I can’t tell you how many Fandangos’ we (college buddies) went on in the early nineties from Austin. That’s how my whole “Big Bend” life started. Our first was to the Terlingua Chili Festival in ’92.

Obviously life and responsibilities catch up with you, and now, with the same group of guys (minus one that got deported to Germany – long story) we do the trip every year (first or second week in November). Most of us still live in Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston) and a few outside of the state. But all make it for that one hell raising, reenactment of our youth.

I’ll gladly put aside my two hours of flying out of Presidio to chase down some of these movie spots.

Dork El Grande
210-393-5922

OK I realize I'm a huge dork, but if we're in the area and if we have time, I want to go HERE sometime.
It's one of my favorite movies and I just found this site that has the filming locations listed in the area. I'll probably save it for when I can spend more time down there...

Chris, I am planning on caravaning down with you. Just let me know when and where to meet you.

cel 214.912.5859

Ok boys....

The menu is as planned. Nothing has been purchased yet, so if you don't like something...speak up. Meals will be provided for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Wed and Sun are travel days and people will be on their own.

Breakfasts will be:
Pigs in blankets (Echrich sausages rolled in crescent rolls)
Biscuits (with sausage and eggs)
S.O.S. (chipped beef, shi* on a shingle, whatever you want to call it. Basically its ground beef, cream gravy with onions poured over biscuits;))

Lunches will be sandwiches.

Dinner:
Brisket (with potato salad and baked beans)
Burgers (with chips and baked beans)
Mexican Chicken (Boiled chicken, cream of mushroom, rotel, tortilla chips, and a bit of onion in a casserole dish served with ranch style beans.)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU DON'T REALLY CARE FOR SOMETHING ON THE MENU....If you don't tell me, your on your own.....

Jason,
I'm trying to take off all day on Wednesday, so we can leave whenever you want.

Last edited:
I'll probably bring along some eggs to substitute for the Pancakes and pre cooked fajita or somethng to sub for the Lasagne. I LOVE both of those items but they play havoc on my blood sugar. Please don't make any changes for me. It's not a big deal at all to bring the items that I mentioned. Everything else sounds fantastic.

Brett,

I can change the pancakes to biscuits if that helps any. It is no big deal. Actually it would be less messy and easier to make. Just let me know.

That's cool with me if it works with you guys. If I eat a lot of carbs, then put syrup on top of it I'm asking for trouble. By trouble I mean sleeping all day from the sugar intake or shaking like a scared goat until my blood sugar comes back down.

Again, due what's easier for the majority. If there's anything I can help with, please let me know.

BTW...beer and booze don't change my sugar level much so I try to consume a lot of those items.

Less than a week!!!

Brett,

I can change the pancakes to biscuits if that helps any. It is no big deal. Actually it would be less messy and easier to make. Just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom