BFG MTs vs MTRs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Allright.

I would like to know what the general concensus is concerning the BFG MTs and MTRs. I currently run BFG ATs and would like to switch to one of these two. My 100 series is a daily driver and family hauler for trips. Offroad a couple times a month, mostly powerline trails and beach driving for surf fishing.

How do these tires do on the highway, how about sand and how about expected life, 20 k miles, 30 k miles, etc.

Thanks,

Andrew

Haven't heard one good thing about BFG MT's except from one dude in this forum. A lot of guys dig the MT/R's for combo tires. If I was buying one tire for street and trail use it would likely be an mt/r. Of course that was if the trail use was all mild stuff ;)

Junk,

You are so subtle.  ;)

And no mention of Swampers? What's up with that?

Rogue,
Someone obviously hacked in to my pc and posted that half complimentary post about MT/R's :D

Real men only wheel with Swampers :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm I the only one who likes BFG MT's? :eek: I've had good luck with them and really dig the new KM's that I just got. Here is my justification. First off, after wheeling with someone with the Good Years, I really didn't see any advantage that he had over me, although rock crawling wasn't on the menu that day. From what I understand, the Good Years are a softer compound that is tackier on rock, and gives them an advantage over the BFG's. But on everything else, including mud, I didn't see any real advantages. Now, the cincher for me is wear life. My last set of Mud Terrains, and they were skinny ones, went over 70,000 miles, granted they were in pretty poor shape by that point, but the good years are supposedly good for only 40,000 if you're lucky. Enough said. My truck is my daily driver, and for the kind of money that these tires run, tire life is a big decision maker for me.

I have both 35x12.5 BFG MT(km) and MTR's, the BFG are on my fj80 and the MTR's are on my fj45.....I prefer the MTR's, they are quiter and handle better then the BFG's. FWIW I have and have had I bet 15+ sets of BFG's. Just bought sets in 33x9.5(AT's) if there was and MTR in that size I would have got em. Nothing really bad to say about the BFG's.....just prefer the MTR's.

which ever one you get I sudjest sipping them, helps alot in the rain, but it can make the tires louder under 30mph....you can hear the sippes.....kinda like a playing card in a bike spoke ;)

John H

ALso, I KNOW BFG's will go 40k I know lots of folks that have gotten much more, 60k is not unheard of.

MTR.....I would guess they will go as far, they seem softer to me, I would think 30k maybe more.

John H

Holy shiznit Landpimp!  Do you own all of those cruisers currently?  Damn fine assortment! 8)

yes I do, there should be another 55 showing up sunday :)

I just got the mustard 82 fj40 last weekend, it;s the twin to my green 82 fj40
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/2301795/27944602.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/2301795/27944589.jpg
just noticed yesterday the mustard 40 still has the original spare tire(Dunlop, snow Cruiser.....go figure?) with the little nubs.....aint never been off the carrier!

pics of the rest of them
http://www.picturetrail.com/cruiserdude

I have never sold a Cruiser, no intention to, the name Landpimp might lead someone to think I'm pimpin(selling)Cruisers.....thats not correct.....I sell Real Estate....hence the name Landpimp ;)

John H

Wild Country RVT Mud, all the way :D
The Wild Country TRX would be better for street use. I have both. They are cheaper too. I have got great mileage out of them.
kurt

3_Stage_Lug-b.gif

it's a Hella work light on the bar, swivels and has it's own switch. handly unit.

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom