BFG KM3’s or GOODYEAR DURATRAC (Even GY MT-R’s) -call out your experiences (other tires welcome too) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
So as title states, I’m doing tires on a Tundra.

-So-

-BFG KM3’s

-Goodyear Duratrac

Those are my 2 front-runners (have GY MT-R’s on my 80, they are good in all but snow) -exactlly as would be expected of Kevlar MT-R’s.

— I’m not at all worried about the atheists of the carcass, I want tires that wear even here in my colder climate, and are best for traction especially coming out of algae-thick boat ramps (really my worst enemy aside from my driveway with switchbacks / paved with 2”- rocks - not streetcar friendly, esp w/ the boat in tow).

KM3’s - how soft is the rubber?
-If you guys in say AZ /Cali think it’s too soft & you’re seeing treadblock squirm, then that’s the perfect tire for me here.

Goodyear Duratrac -
I see a ton of guys complain the rubber does as above (expected of ‘snowflake rated’ rubber) - but never seen Tundra guys talk of Duratrac tires, just the F(Z)J80 crowd I know best.

Aside from those 2, what else do you have worth talking?

-I’m replacing Toyo MT’s that I intentionally never rotated (hate them) - but they do brake well in wet when nearing the 1/4” depth where the rubber gets softer.
But I’d never buy them myself. They are so-so at best IMO.

Suggestions / experiences & miles on yours?

TIA!

I've run duratrac and km2 and wildpeak atw3 and now Nitto ridge graplers. Hands down the ridge graplers have been great. They are good on the street and even better off road. Can't speak to the longevity, only owned them 5k, but they have been awesome in the rain too.

I've run duratrac and km2 and wildpeak atw3 and now Nitto ridge graplers. Hands down the ridge graplers have been great. They are good on the street and even better off road. Can't speak to the longevity, only owned them 5k, but they have been awesome in the rain too.

Nitto got roasted on both internet & a work buddy who had a 2 sets total on a 3/4T GMC - they wouldn’t stay round when out back & he had pairs replaced twice after they would do ~10K miles on the back axle (not sure which of the Nitto’s he had, total truth) - so he went thru 8 total tires & he just went back to BFG in MT3’s but only got them about 8wks ago <2K miles.
Tire Rack flat warrantied him out of the Nittos & gave full credit towards his BFG’s (giving props to them as he felt he was treated fairly despite wasting time in process).

Plus, Nitto & Toyo are sister companies and I f’ing hate my Toyos.
So that kills those 2.
(my Toyos are having a hard time staying round too, part of what initially got me to the point of just abusing them so I had an excuse to replace)

Wildpeak doesn’t have a 35/12.5r20 (or a p-metric close) -
So I’m back to my either going full mud tire or a hybrid tire (never done hybrids before, I’m 100% fine with mud tread noise & character, if good like the 2 gens of Goodyear MT-R’s I’ve had & the set of G1 BFG MT’s.

I’m either getting 35/12.5r20 or 325/60r20 - my hesitation is that truck tires don’t have the UTQG rating like street tires to give me a idea how hard the BFG MT3’s are, or what a Duratrac will be softness-wise compared to my Goodyear MT-R’s.

But so all that said, that’s why I’m back to just KM3 or Duratrac.

Is there some way to decode treadwear rating in truck tires to approximate compound?

—Sorry long post, I’m just trying to pick right between 2 tires so different.
I know KM3’s will suck in snow comparitively, but I am hoping for ~50K or better from Duratracs which the 3 total sets of MT-R’s (1 set old gen, on 2nd set of Kevlar / G2 MT-R’s) - I never have broken beyond 30K range.

GY MT-R’s are great despite short life, sticky offroad & excellent on wet pavement braking.

I had BFG AT’s before on both a work truck & my old 40th AE FZJ80 had the KO2(???) with 2/3 tread on it when I bought it & they hydroplane on HWY101 when I’m out on the peninsula so when you see the locals trucks in say Forks or Port Angeles, not a single BFG AT of any flavor/gen.

—Once again, why I’m looking at 2 very different tires but either seem the best choice as I see things.......

Nitto got roasted on both internet & a work buddy who had a 2 sets total on a 3/4T GMC - they wouldn’t stay round when out back & he had pairs replaced twice after they would do ~10K miles on the back axle (not sure which of the Nitto’s he had, total truth) - so he went thru 8 total tires & he just went back to BFG in MT3’s but only got them about 8wks ago <2K miles.
Tire Rack flat warrantied him out of the Nittos & gave full credit towards his BFG’s (giving props to them as he felt he was treated fairly despite wasting time in process).

Plus, Nitto & Toyo are sister companies and I f’ing hate my Toyos.
So that kills those 2.
(my Toyos are having a hard time staying round too, part of what initially got me to the point of just abusing them so I had an excuse to replace)

Wildpeak doesn’t have a 35/12.5r20 (or a p-metric close) -
So I’m back to my either going full mud tire or a hybrid tire (never done hybrids before, I’m 100% fine with mud tread noise & character, if good like the 2 gens of Goodyear MT-R’s I’ve had & the set of G1 BFG MT’s.

I’m either getting 35/12.5r20 or 325/60r20 - my hesitation is that truck tires don’t have the UTQG rating like street tires to give me a idea how hard the BFG MT3’s are, or what a Duratrac will be softness-wise compared to my Goodyear MT-R’s.

But so all that said, that’s why I’m back to just KM3 or Duratrac.

Is there some way to decode treadwear rating in truck tires to approximate compound?

—Sorry long post, I’m just trying to pick right between 2 tires so different.
I know KM3’s will suck in snow comparitively, but I am hoping for ~50K or better from Duratracs which the 3 total sets of MT-R’s (1 set old gen, on 2nd set of Kevlar / G2 MT-R’s) - I never have broken beyond 30K range.

GY MT-R’s are great despite short life, sticky offroad & excellent on wet pavement braking.

I had BFG AT’s before on both a work truck & my old 40th AE FZJ80 had the KO2(???) with 2/3 tread on it when I bought it & they hydroplane on HWY101 when I’m out on the peninsula so when you see the locals trucks in say Forks or Port Angeles, not a single BFG AT of any flavor/gen.

—Once again, why I’m looking at 2 very different tires but either seem the best choice as I see things.......
I loved my duratracs on my 3rd Gen 4runner. Concensus is they don't stay round either so if I were you I'd go with the km3. For what it's worth I hated the toyos on my work truck too and a 3/4 ton gmc is going to be a lot worse on tires than my sequoia. I don't have the 10ply nittos either so that may make a difference. Good luck

Yokohama has a couple of new off road tires. I am waiting to see if anyone has any real world feedback yet

Yokohama has a couple of new off road tires. I am waiting to see if anyone has any real world feedback yet

Who all is Yokohama allied with like how Toyo/Nitto & Michelin bought BFG some ~decade ago?

I know one tire company was literally a part of a conglomerate that made condoms - you just couldn’t pay good money for “Tires made from Jimmies”.
(Falken? - anybody remember? -It was common knowledge circa 1995)

I looked & Yoko has the Geolander 003 but I’d never seen that X-MT looks like their trying to do something Interco would do.

I had Intercos once, that phase of life is thankfully over (that 450 was beaten severely & routinely, spent alot of time wrenching).

The Geolander has a ~35” / 20 but without treadwear ratings on truck tires, I can’t make a decision with them.

I’m thinking BF G’s in MT3’s is going to be my “best guess / know what to expect” -tire. I never hear of them going out of round or cupping/squirm unless you plain never rotate them.

:meh:

I've been a big fan of cooper's for a while now. When I brought my 07 tundra it had pretty new duratacs on it. They do seem to get good traction everywhere I've been so far. The one thing that bothers me is that they are very loud on the pavement. I can't drive with my windows down or I'll get a headache from that sound. I was planning on replacing them when they wear out. But, now I might just do it early so I can be done with them.

Linus, As far as I know and can tell Yokohama is all by themselves. They were aligned with BFG in the way way back.

Here’s a “new to the mix” -thing.

Glad I went by the local brick & mortar Discount to talk tread compounds.

Shorthand is Duratracs are probably about to be discontinued.

What I learned:

HTH some of you, I’m no longer interested in Duratrac as a contender.

—— Edit : Linked thread I found the tire that may be the replacement, or at least the one Discount Tire vendors (GY UltraTerrain AT’s) - instead of Duratracs since they see many returns of them. /Edit ——

I’m 95% sure BFG / MT3’s are going to be the ‘new shoes’.

Last edited:
Linus, As far as I know and can tell Yokohama is all by themselves. They were aligned with BFG in the way way back.

Thanks - I’m getting to that age where I’ve got a “fact salad” in my brain, but many times no way to gauge age of info/current relevance.

Betting this was one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom