BEWARE! OEM Toyo parts on Ebay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ebay has some great looking deals for "factory Toyota" parts. The complete timing belt kits with water pump, cam and crank seals... All OEM parts. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!

The boxes look legit, the parts look really close, but they aren't the same as what Toyota US sells. I bought the kit, then pulled my stuff apart. The kit parts in their pretty boxes were slightly different in the details. Different bearing and seal manufacturers on the idlers and water pump, the impellar was slightly different, the parts are very close and if you weren't looking would never know. Then I went and bought legit oem parts from the dealer and had 3 sets of parts to look at and confirmed what I found. The bearings def didn't spin the same as the dealer parts. The Mitsuboshi belt in the kit looked great, but the timing marks were in the wrong spot. Fortunately, the ebay seller refunded my money.

The Toyo parts manager spotted that the date code on most of the boxes was the same- that's the biggest slip up as its pretty much impossible that many of these different types of parts could have been made the same week.

If it looks too good to be true... there's a reason!

Same with toyota spark plugs.

Body related gaskets out of Indo are fake too. Looks like they 3D printed a mold and made them out of polyurethane. Plastic baggie with Toyota tag & p/n

Both eBay and Amz are so frustrating these days with counterfeited goods across pretty much every industry.

Fortunately, many Toyota dealerships have started competing online for parts sales. I've found several dealership websites with regularly priced OEM parts 30-40%+ off my local dealership pricing and often even get free shipping if I'm ordering more than 100 bucks or so. It's still not quite as cheap as going with eBay, but peace of mind and being able to order all of the parts for a project from one source instead of multiple sellers makes it absolutely worthwhile.

Yes and oil filters also. Box looks real filter looks real. Filter is not oem quality. Gasket blew out on one I had and fried my motor.
just finished the rebuild. Buying only toyota parts counter filters from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom