Best Winch for ARB Deluxe Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, looking to install a winch I saw some old threads so I thought I’d reopen the question. What are some good options? Probably use the winch every now and then at the farm to move some stuff around and on the occasional overland trip.

thx for the help!!!:zilla:

9E1B062D-21AA-42FD-8676-6FD3AB54D659.jpeg

I've got Smittybilt XRC 9,500 lb winches on my Cruiser (with ARB deluxe bumper) and my '90 Pickup. Neither have ever failed and each have been used on average maybe 10 times a year... Cant beat them for the price, IMO.

I've got Smittybilt XRC 9,500 lb winches on my Cruiser (with ARB deluxe bumper) and my '90 Pickup. Neither have ever failed and each have been used on average maybe 10 times a year... Cant beat them for the price, IMO.
Thx for that input. Was the mounting a pain? Or pretty straightforward

Thx for that input. Was the mounting a pain? Or pretty straightforward

No different than the four other winches I've mounted for friends. They were all a PITA to some extent haha. Worst one was a 2.5 Gen Montero with an ARB deluxe bumper made for a Pajero but fabricated to fit the US Montero; the wires were about 16" too short and the winch had to be mounted to the bumper before the bumper was installed. We got everything mounted up and went to finish up the wiring to realize it was too short 😑 all of this was after a 12 hour day getting the bumper to fit perfectly.

20190321_153304.jpg

Honestly...just get a Badlands 12K winch and throw it on there. We use ours for farm work all the time and it doesn't have any issues at all after years of use. The new Apex is good and you can get individual parts for them quickly. I would suggest if you are going to use it for farm use stay with steel cable it can take much more chafing abuse than a synthetic line.

Honestly...just get a Badlands 12K winch and throw it on there. We use ours for farm work all the time and it doesn't have any issues at all after years of use. The new Apex is good and you can get individual parts for them quickly. I would suggest if you are going to use it for farm use stay with steel cable it can take much more chafing abuse than a synthetic line.
Thank you. I’ve heard some good things about those Harbor Freight winches. How was the installation onto the ARB? Also do you have a picture of how this looks on your 80

Thank you. I’ve heard some good things about those Harbor Freight winches. How was the installation onto the ARB?
No idea ours is mounted to a homemade winch plate. Its the industry standard size base on both the winch and roller or hawse lead so I can not imagine there would be an issue. I also know they are generous with the lead wire they give as well since they put enough cable to go around the outside edge of a full size pickup truck to get to the batteries.
If you time it right there is usually a 20% off cupon from them you can use to get one.

Instal of the HF winch isn’t so bad. You’ll want to reclock the winch before you put it in so you can engage/disengage the winch easier. You’ll also need some spacers (about $20 from Amazon). I think these were Smittybilt spacers like 1/2” tall by the depth of the winch. Two of them. This pushes the winch back so it can clear the wings of the bumper. The feet mount forward, not down.

Protect the power cables to the battery as they get sun damage and will split at the wrong time.

if you need some pics, I can post some when I’m back home.

Instal of the HF winch isn’t so bad. You’ll want to reclock the winch before you put it in so you can engage/disengage the winch easier. You’ll also need some spacers (about $20 from Amazon). I think these were Smittybilt spacers like 1/2” tall by the depth of the winch. Two of them. This pushes the winch back so it can clear the wings of the bumper. The feet mount forward, not down.

Protect the power cables to the battery as they get sun damage and will split at the wrong time.

if you need some pics, I can post some when I’m back home.
Awesome I’d appreciate that

AFAIK, those Badland Apex winches cannot be clocked... and could be an issue with feet forward mounting.

Not the best pics but you’ll get the idea. It’s 4 bolts that hold the winch to the front of the bumper.
DACDA943-2257-4234-8CB7-EFDC51AED18D.jpeg
8B96C96F-ABA4-4A94-A352-0870705C475B.jpeg
9FF2B5F6-7CB4-4979-ABBD-71A9A94FDA90.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom