Best way to wire a heavy duty dump trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a heavy duty dump trailer that I have a few questions about rewiring. First this is a 14' dual axle setup that has its own electric dump along with a winch. It is made of heavy steel. Usually it is filled with dirt/ sod/ stone/ chips / brush etc. The trailer has its own marine battery that powers the dump along with the winch. It also has its own charger that when plugged in recharges the battery. It dumps well for 10 -12 times after charging all night until the battery is dead and won't lift it. This is about 4-5 hrs of heavy use. The battery is about 2 years old and tests good using a load tester. I have tested all wiring from battery to dump controller and all --seems-- good.

So one of my questions is what am I missing if anything?

Also one of my thoughts was that there is such a draw that the battery just drains itself after some dumps. Should marine batteries drain that quickly even under a full charge?

Wiring....One of my thoughts was to rewire a power wire that charges the battery from a truck or tractor. I was thinking this could replenish the battery. If I went this route what would you all recommend? The longest distance from the truck battery to the trailer battery is roughly 30feet. I was thinking a blue sea fuse circuit breaker or heavy enclosed fuse, heavy guage wire then an Anderson quick connector to the battery on the trailer. Any thoughts on this setup? What size wire should I use?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I've got a dump bed on my 5500 Dodge with @6ga. wire to it. Also run a winch on my trailer with Anderson plugs and I think 4ga. wire. Why is the length of wire run so long?

I agree with the above...to run 30' through the truck and trailer, and to be able to push any serious charging amps from the truck battery and alternator...the thicker the better.

I'd even say #2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom