Best value recover package (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bear Lake Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I was wondering what the best bang for the buck (but not to sacrifice quality) would be for a recovery package, your basic snatch block, tree saver etc all in one package. I live in a pretty remote location so physically shopping somewhere and piecing one together is out of the question. Suggestions?

Hi all,

A lot of it depends on the weight of the vehicle your are recovering.

I would suggest a longer tree strap, like the ARB model 735:

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Tree-Protector-16-Ft-ARB735-P3625.aspx

Why longer? Sometimes the only anchor point you can find (tree, boulder, etc.) is too big around for a shorter (10 foot) tree strap.

A good quality snatch block. I have used the ARB model 209 for several years with good results.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Snatch-Block-ARB209-P3594.aspx

At least 2 good quality "D" ring shackles, like these Warn units:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097SUKL0/?tag=ihco-20

Regards,

Alan

One thing to note about shackles being used with snatch blocks (since you need one to connect to a tree saver); make sure you purchase a shackle that is rated for at least double the pulling power of the winch, since the snatch block doubles your pulling power. It seems that a lot of the kits out there do not account for this. Most 3/4" shackles are rated at 6-1/2 tons (13k), but an 8k winch with the line payed out to the first layer is capable of a full 8k, so double that is 16k (8 tons), exceeding the rating of the shackle in between the snatch block and the tree saver (which are probably both rated well more than that). I keep a 1" (10 ton) shackle with me for use with my snatch block.

As for purchasing the parts, I would order off of Amazon and pick and choose the best bang for the buck.

One thing to note about shackles being used with snatch blocks (since you need one to connect to a tree saver); make sure you purchase a shackle that is rated for at least double the pulling power of the winch, since the snatch block doubles your pulling power. It seems that a lot of the kits out there do not account for this. Most 3/4" shackles are rated at 6-1/2 tons (13k), but an 8k winch with the line payed out to the first layer is capable of a full 8k, so double that is 16k (8 tons), exceeding the rating of the shackle in between the snatch block and the tree saver (which are probably both rated well more than that). I keep a 1" (10 ton) shackle with me for use with my snatch block.

As for purchasing the parts, I would order off of Amazon and pick and choose the best bang for the buck.

I say just make sure that the line is the weakest link. The shackle (and tree saver) at the snatch should be at better than double the rate of the rope. A 1" shackle with a WLL of 10T will have a breaking strength of 50T. A 3/8" wire rope depending on the type will have a breaking strength in the 7T range. There is a lot of confusion between WLL ratings and winch manufacturer ratings which seems to specify the max pulling power.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

Pete

ARB kits for sure.

I was wondering what the best bang for the buck (but not to sacrifice quality) would be for a recovery package, your basic snatch block, tree saver etc all in one package. I live in a pretty remote location so physically shopping somewhere and piecing one together is out of the question. Suggestions?

That link to Pirate is a good one. Everyone with a winch should take the time to read that. I did years ago but probably should again.

WLL in the lifting industry is generally 5 to 1. Meaning the breaking point or safety factor is 5x the rated strength. Most of the bow shackles we use are from the lifting industry. At least the ones I buy.

That said I have a large 1" shackle in my recovery bag as well. Also make sure the snatch block you choose is large enough for your winch/rope. Not all are designed around 3/8" rope or larger. Nor rated for a 12K winch.

I like the ARB stuff as well. I like the color coding as it's a no brainer to grab the type of strap you need quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom