Best spare mount location on 60 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the roof mounted ones but it might tough to wrestle a 35" tire down from there, I wonder if rain would wash junk onto the top of the truck too ???

The rear mounted ones (like pictured) are o.k. too but it looks like the drivers view might be obstructed in that location, plus the extra work to open it to access anything in the rear.

sooooooo neither ;)

That is the best 60 series carrier on the market, period.

I have sold two, and both people use them, and their trucks off road, and love them. Yes they are $$$$, but anything worth having is not cheap, nor would it last as long as the vehicle that it is mounted to.

Good luck!

-Steve

Who makes that unit?

I ran my 33 on the roof of my XJ and I just don't like the tire up there...and inside sucks when you have a dog or a passengers or lots of gear....

RJ

Poser you say you've sold two? Are you talking about the bumper that is pictured on the white 60?
If so let me know 'cause I want to buy one.
Have you looked at the rear bumper Slee Off Road is selling?
devo

I put my spare (33x12.50) on a full ARB roof rack. Its amazing how unstable / tippy it made the truck feel on the trail. I had ordered the JK Customs rr bumper w/o the spare mount and REALLY wish I had it now. I now think thats the way to go!

I have my spare 33x12.5 mounted on a wilderness roof rack. I haven't felt any 'tipiness' but I have a new suspension system. Here's the reason I went with the roof rack. I use my truck everyday and put things in and take things out of the back all the time.

I figured I would rather deal with 'getting the tire off the roof' once in lifetime(?) vs. moving the tire rack 4 times a day because of things I have to get in and out of the back.

My other rational was that I wanted to put on a hitch mounted bicycle rack to I could more easily get bikes off the back of the truck than the top. For me I would rather have the tire on the roof and out of the way, than on the back for every day problems.

The problems those long range tanks create :D Anyway, pick the solution that meets your needs.

fj60_4.jpg

i like mine on the roof its out of the way and doesnt block the rear veiw like bumper mount spare ... its hard enough to see behind the truck as it is ... but thats just my .02cts

some day i hope to have both for long range trips but i will just run the top one in town .....no sway.... no sway bar ...but its a bds lift :-\

[quote author=TOZOVR link=board=1;threadid=10389;start=msg92776#msg92776 date=1074626296]
Who makes that unit?

[/quote]

Renegade fabrication, Dave Gore, distributed by Man-a-Fre.

[quote author=devo link=board=1;threadid=10389;start=msg92812#msg92812 date=1074630306]
Poser you say you've sold two? Are you talking about the bumper that is pictured on the white 60?
If so let me know 'cause I want to buy one.
Have you looked at the rear bumper Slee Off Road is selling?
devo

[/quote]

Yes, that is from the MAF site I think..

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/4+PlusTow BumperTire CarrierRoofLadder60 Series.htm

I have only seen the pictures. Looks like another high-quality Slee product. He makes some very, very nice gear.

-Steve

Here is my junk. Made by me for me

Thats a 35 spare. I put the spare on the tailgate with the window section down. Climb on the tail gate and throw it on top. No prob 5feet 8 inches tall 182 lbs.

That's indeed where I got the picture. One of the few I have seen with the roof access ladder, pretty sharp.

Poser- "Yes they are $$$$, but anything worth having is not cheap..."

I agree, no doubt they're worth it, but for a broke college student, I consider most anything $$$$ :doh:
In fact, I'll probably even end up with one, even if it does mean having to give up eating for a semester...no I'll give up my text books before I give up food... ;)

Are those arms detachable? Say you have a roof rack with a mount anyway as well as the arm. As jl pointed out, it would be more convenient to have arms out of the way so would it be possible to mount the tire on the roof for daily driving and remove the swing arm/ladder? And then for off road excursions, put the tire on the arm to free up roof rack space. Now, I'm just getting picky ::) but that would be handy...

Oh, jl- How do you like that wilderness roof rack? Do you have the full length one? I am considering that rook rack as well.

If your talking about the Cammo 60 I made the rack myself. It took me one day with a wire feed. I painted the rack with Duraliner to finish it. The ladder is permanent. I could have made it removable but it is actually closer to the body than the side morriors by about two inches. I put a bend in the ladder about two feet up to match the body line.

It is the full length of the roof and goes to the drip rails on the sides. I think you could put a queen mattress in it if you wanted to. I'd fabricate another one for around $700 including material. I live in Gardnerville Nevada. It's 1 inch square steel box. Troy

VTCruiser,

Yes they do make a fullsize rack, with a bunch of accessories. 4x4connection is having a sale on the wilderness racks right now. I have no problems getting the tire on and off the roof. I stand on the tailgate, and pull it off the roof. :)

Here's the pic

My opinion is that it kind of depends on the size of the tire / height of the vehicle. I'm running 36 x 14.5's now on a SOA truck and if I put it on the roof I have to believe it would be scary tippy, not to mention it could be that much harder to get under branches and stuff on the trail.

But if I was running SUA with smaller tires, say 33 x 12.5 size or smaller then I think the roof might be a great option.

I'm currently running a 4x4 Labs bumper with tire on the back, but as others have said it does obscure the view out the back a bit and it can be a bitch to get to your gear in the back if you are in a tight space or if you are facing up a steep incline. I've also noticed the weight and vibration of the tire hanging off the back when I accelerate or when trying to climb up obstacles.

Just for comparison I am going to pull the arms off and ride with the tire inside the back of the truck to see how it performs.

VTCruiser,

I have a OME Lift with 33x12.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom