Best size and length kinetic recovery strap for 80 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a couple of questions about kinetic recovery strap /rope for my 80 series.
I have been doing some searches about this stretchy recovery rope for recovering a stuck 4x4.
These choices come in 20 ft and 30 ft lengths. Seems that 30 ft would be best for reaching most stuck vehicles out on the trail. What do you think?

These ropes stretch up to 30% so the recovery is smooth , with no jerking of either vehicle.

Other choice is strength . Factors seem to include weight of your vehicle. My 80 series probably weighs 6000 or up to 6500 lbs , fully loaded up, but I do as most do and keep adding more weight.
The math I have seen is 3 times the weight of your vehicle to get correct rope size. 6500 x 3 =19500.
Good for rescuing my 4x4, but what if I am pulling out a 1 ton dually pick up?

What I have found, so far , is 1 inch x 30 ft with 30000# strength. Smittybilt $128. QIQU 1"x30ft 30K for $119.
Bubba rope is 7/8 inch x 30 ft at 28,600 lbs. $209.

All get good reviews.

There are many different brands.
I have seen the stretchy recovery ropes in action and I want to add one of these to my recovery equipment.
Looking for opinions, especially if you have one of these ropes and your 4x4 weighs in similar to mine.

I have found that too big a rope will not stretch enough, so you loose the kinetic benefit. So, bigger is not better.

Thanks for your opinions..

I have found that too big a rope will not stretch enough, so you loose the kinetic benefit. So, bigger is not better.

FWIW, I think I have a 1"X30'.
Its a MasterPull, which I think is a very good quality American made rope... Won it from MasterPull at a swap meet in Washington in like 2010. It's a little hard to tell what the rope diameter is, and I don't have the tag anymore, but my recollection was 1" diameter
Its worked well with the pickup (scaled at 5500lbs in trail configuration) jerking a pretty stuck 4Runner, a mildly stuck 80 and jerking around windfall trees in the snow. Nice and smooth.
On the XMAs Tree run, we used it between the pickup (stuck in its own spinning wheel holes) and a mostly empty and stock 82 shortbed mini truck... i'd think about 3800-4000 lbs at the most.
It hit A LOT harder than its hit in other circumstances, possibly because the mini truck is so light as you describe above Jeff?

Either way... Jeff if you want to test mine out you are welcome to. We could stick a rig in the snow.

I went to Desert Rat today and visited with Mark. He has always been helpful in all things regarding 4x4's.
First, buy USA made rope.
They have VooDoo ropes for sale, and on sale until 12/31/19. 24,500 lb break strength 3/4 x 30 ft. USA made. List price $129.99 for sale price $109.99.
I bought one . Comes with a nice carry bag. and VooDoo doll key chain.
I feel I have picked out a good kinetic recovery rope that will work well for what I need.
Thanks for your experience with this equipment.

Cool we’ll need to get out there and give it a test!

Hope to get out on the trail at some point. Have been busier than usual lately.

I'm late to the party but a wide strap usually means higher load rating. I think mine is 2.5" but can't recall who makes it. I love the ropes but dang it if they didn't take up so much space!

I'm late to the party but a wide strap usually means higher load rating. I think mine is 2.5" but can't recall who makes it. I love the ropes but dang it if they didn't take up so much space!
2.5”???? I have recovery rope envy... or you have a rather odd idea of what 2.5” is! 🤣🤣🤣

2” is the largest master pull offers... WLL 135000lbs!! Agreed these things take up a ton of space. The bag mine is in is like 9x9x18”.... if my perspective of an inch is actually accurate

2.5”???? I have recovery rope envy... or you have a rather odd idea of what 2.5” is! 🤣🤣🤣

I *thought* my strap was 2.5", now you got me second guessing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom