Best practice for radiator replacement and transmission fluid level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched and seem to find conflicting information.

What is the best practice for changing your radiator and keeping your transmission fluid at the appropriate level?

I’m having my Indy shop do it, and would like to give my guy a little guidance.

Should I buy a quart and just top off when it’s returned?

I’m planning on doing a flush / exchange around 150k or 15k more miles, if that helps.

I’ve searched and seem to find conflicting information.

What is the best practice for changing your radiator and keeping your transmission fluid at the appropriate level?

I’m having my Indy shop do it, and would like to give my guy a little guidance.

Should I buy a quart and just top off when it’s returned?

I’m planning on doing a flush / exchange around 150k or 15k more miles, if that helps.
I've had my rad in and out twice since early January (long story). So my advice is:

1. Use hose pinch clamps to pinch off the two tranny cooler hoses when you pull them off the hose barbs on the radiator.
2. Have buckets or pales ready to catch any fluid you spill, and you will spill some no matter what you do.
3. There will also be some fluid in the transmission cooler section of the radiator. Just be ready to catch the drips. You can use tape to cap off the hose barbs. After you get the radiator out, drain and collect the fluid in the cooler.
4. Measure all of the fluid collected. If its 50 ml or so, you are probably fine. Last time I did it I lost ~200 ml. I didn't use the pinch clamps. I thought about just pumping in what I measured I lost but if you go that far you might as well check the level again to be sure. Don't forget new crush washers for the AT plugs. I would have a QT of AT fluid on hand just in case.
5. Also, you need the truck to be running before you pull out the AT fill plug or fluid will drain from the fill hole. Most people probably know this. I didn't the first time...

Oh and your Indy shop guy needs the FSM for the AT fluid level check procedure. Its got some important details like blocking the tstat open and checking the level within the correct temp range.

Change radiator, add a quart of transmission fluid through fill port, perform check level procedure.

Oh and your Indy shop guy needs the FSM for the AT fluid level check procedure. Its got some important details like blocking the tstat open and checking the level within the correct temp range.
I was reading up on that. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom