Best & Largest rooftop hard shell tent for family (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I’m putting together a build for a LC200. Part of it will be having a Front Runner rack, and I was going to get a roof top tent.

What would you recommend for an adult couple, with 2 kids (2) and (5)?
ie what’s the largest, most comfortable tent, and easiest to set up, and good quality to last a long time?

We can go hard shell or whatever you suggest if it lasts longer.

Later we can go with a second tent also.

Do you leave the tent on year round ? (Are they too heavy and too much hassle to remove on and off and how many people would be needed to remove/install?)
If it stays on is it ok to leave on year round in New England (it will be garbage kept but obviously will travel outside during snow )

Hey Man, welcome to Mud. The biggest hard shell that I know if is the iKamper, and it differs from most of the other hard shells by folding out to the side in a similar way to the "soft shell" tents. There is a thread in this section about an iKamper knock off (Torro) as well. Some of the other XL versions of the hardshell ones James Baroud, AirTop etc are decent sized, but by and large there are more options for larger tents if you go soft shell, including the Eeziawn and others. Some are even dual ladder.

As far as how long it lasts, I think there are too many factors to consider, as I imagine a good Tepui soft shell will outlast a cheap Costco hardshell etc.

In theory you could put two soft shell tents on one roof rack, but that will take some finagling. I've seen it done on a full sized pickup, but not on a LC.

I have taken mine off in the fall and put it on in the spring for the last few years. it's a pain in the ass as it requires me getting another person to meet me over an hour away at my parent's where I store it, but I feel like it's better to not have it up there, even if it's not really hurting anything. Most larger ones are in the 200# neighborhood, so factor that in. Front runner does have some nifty quick release RTT brackets.

As an alternative, you could consider getting an ARB awning and Deluxe awning room. They aren't a lot harder to set up, and are much roomier than a RTT and much cheaper. Some nice cots in there may make you happier anyway?

Hey
Thanks man, I kinda liked the set up with the James Baroud XXL and the built in vent fan for condensation etc
Seems like a nice set up

They are nice and top, top quality, but for pure size they pale with the soft shell tents. Even the Grand Raid XXL is nothing compared to, say the Mt Ranier from CVT for ex. The hard shells definitely have their advantages, such as easy off use, but they are limited to the width of a vehicle. My buddy used to sleep in a tjm yulara soft shell with a wife and 2 kids, but for me, I feel like with just my gf it's about right.

I’ve had an Eeze-Awn 1.8 for 11 years the only thing I’ve need to was replace the cover. I bought it in Namibia and used it there and in Tanzania before bringing it back to the US in 2015. When our boys were young, all four of us slept in it no problem. It’s heavy but built like a tank. In Africa it was stored outside when not on the truck. The hardest and slowest part of the open/closing routine is putting the cover on at the end otherwise it is a five minute process to set up and take down. Now that the kids have migrated to ground tents (when they camp with us at all) we’ll probably go to a smaller hard shell.

FYI, Eeze Awn makes an even larger tent that can be divided into two rooms.

Last edited:
@Eire32 I recommend the iKamper Skycamp 4x. It is the largest tent on the market at 84” width (shoulder to shoulder) x 82” length when open. It takes 60 easy seconds to open. We’ve had a Tepui, a James Baroud XXL and now the IKamper which we’ve had for the last 2.5 years. Our kids are 3 and 7 and we still have plenty of space inside. Kids love the tent. They’re made in Korea and top notch and constantly refine their design. I always have kept my tents on my truck year round. Hard shell tents do very well in the elements closed up on a vehicle. Being honest, I bought my tent from, and am now working selling iKampers at Rhino Adventure Gear. Let me know if I can help you out.

x3 on iKamper 4x. It's not w/o it's own shortcomings but I think it is the best tent available for your needs.

im In the same boat as OP.

What are the shortcomings ?
For the iKamper Skycamp?

-interior small stuff stowage
iKamper has recently addressed this by adding 3 pockets under each side window to keep your keys, flashlight, phone etc.

-ease of storing sleepgear inside when closing/closed
Space is limited inside a closed up tent due to the second “wing” aluminum floor and mattress being folded up inside. I personally can still keep all of our two large car camping sleeping bags inside and 3 camp pillows inside, but it is very specific where it can be kept (all along the hinge side of the tent). I highly recommend 2 Snow Peak Ofuton bags. They fit perfect.

That’s really it.
341ECE6E-F5CD-433F-89DF-24E71E5C16DC.jpeg

For the iKamper Skycamp?

-interior small stuff stowage
iKamper has recently addressed this by adding 3 pockets under each side window to keep your keys, flashlight, phone etc.

-ease of storing sleepgear inside when closing/closed
Space is limited inside a closed up tent due to the second “wing” aluminum floor and mattress being folded up inside. I personally can still keep all of our two large car camping sleeping bags inside and 3 camp pillows inside, but it is very specific where it can be kept (all along the hinge side of the tent). I highly recommend 2 Snow Peak Ofuton bags. They fit perfect.

That’s really it.
View attachment 2213376
Thanks appreciated

Freedom XL - Taktält — OutdoorDays®
Anyone got info on these tents? Don't know if they are rebranded but the name on the Swedish website is Freedom XL.
They claim 30sec setup... hmm Video show at least 1.5min🤣
IMG_2287.jpeg

Technical Specification Freedom XL
Pre-order: Delivery before May 1st.
Normal delivery time: 2-5 working days.

Length folded out: 210cm
Width precipitated: 205cm
Height precipitated: 143cm
Weight: 82kg
Ladder: Yes, telescopic ladder
Mattress: Yes, 3cm foam mattress with washable cover.
Mattress size: 200x200x3cm
Zippers: YKK & SBS
Hardware: Stainless steel & aluminum
Transport size: 210x100x35cm
Tent cloth: 320G Polyester-Cotton Canvas with rip-stop technology
Raincloth: 420D Polyester Oxford
Transport cloth: Plastic cover
Color: Green
Mounting kit: Yes
Other: Storage / shoe bag
Awning: Yes as an accessory
shoe bag: Included
LED lamp: Included

Anyone got info on these tents? Don't know if they are rebranded but the name on the Swedish website is Freedom XL.
View attachment 2219379

There are about 3 "duplicate" tents exactly like this. Torro-Offroad Skylux (comes with awning, anex, as well as winter insulation) for $3k. free shipping for US. Then you have the iKamper Skycamp which is the highest priced (ridiculous at $3900 plus shipping and you dont get anything included but the tent). And lastly the RoofNest CondorXL which is $3195 plus shipping. No accessories included. So if you wanna find out more about this one, email them directly or just youtube any of the ones I listed out because they're identical in function and looks.

Last edited:
View attachment 2219379

$2600 isn't too bad...

Thanks for info @ItsBavid! Good to know!
I am still a newbie in all this and I am sure people find this info really usefull👌

$2600 isn't too bad...
Swedish krona is low at the moment that could explain the low price in $. Opportunity for all👍

Thanks for info @ItsBavid! Good to know!
I am still a newbie in all this and I am sure people find this info really usefull👌
Of course man. I just started searching as well. I'm leaning towards the Torro. Good luck on your search!

Swedish krona is low at the moment that could explain the low price in $. Opportunity for all👍
Definitely could be an opportunity, but it is only value if it is good quality.

@4Beast Can't guarantee quality unfortunately as I haven't seen or used it. Hoped that someone had though. But I will review the tent I'll buy, whichever it may be👍

@4Beast Can't guarantee quality unfortunately as I haven't seen or used it. Hoped that someone had though. But I will review the tent I'll buy, whichever it may be👍
Good reviews are always valuable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom