BED ROLLS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
who's got one? how do you like it? what would you do differently if you could do it again? Any DIY instructionals? kind of surprised I can't find anything using the search key...I know we aren't all above cowboy camping...

Chicago used one for a while, he liked it but it was mega bulky to haul around. I think he went back to a more conventional system.

we use a swag here. They are bulky but bloody handy and quick. You can get doubles, singles, screened.
Not great for camping with snakes and crocs, but the screening keeps the mozzies out. :)

swag 3.jpg

swag 4.jpg

swag 2.jpg
swag.jpg

I like the third pic. Whose model is that? that's exactly what I was picturing, without the stick. just something to slip in a pad and a bag and not worry about gunking up the gear...I am planning on researching various designs and then trying to make one from bulk waxed duck. The bulk isn't a bother to me- I want to be able to toss it down and pass out; chuck it in the toolbox in the morning and bail....

Yea, the only way someone could sleep in that would be drunk.
or just not bothered to not be removed from nature while out in it...

Bakara swag---- http://www.ggswags.com/images/Bakara_single_2.jpg
swag.jpg

Oztrail Cooper swag ---- http://www.campingworld.com.au/sites/www.campingworld.com.au/files/Oztrail Cooper Swag.jpg
Oztrail Cooper Swag.jpg

I have heard of guys making one out of an old canvas tent and the insides of an old duck down doona. You might call them duvets? the thing you put over bed sheets when its really cold ......... I like to call it the door to my dutch oven.
we usually have a roll out canopy on our vehicles which is used to cook under, get out of the sun and eat/drink so at the end of the night if its raining we throw them under that and pack it up in the morning.

Montana canvas makes one for $106. I've never used one, but I can tell you their tents are top notch! www.montanacanvas.com

I like the third pic. Whose model is that? that's exactly what I was picturing, without the stick. just something to slip in a pad and a bag and not worry about gunking up the gear...I am planning on researching various designs and then trying to make one from bulk waxed duck. The bulk isn't a bother to me- I want to be able to toss it down and pass out; chuck it in the toolbox in the morning and bail....
The original cowboy bedroll was a piece of tarp and some blankets. It's not rocket science to figure out how to fold the tarp so you stay dry.

Oh I get it...just trying to get a full field view before I decide which line to take...door to the dutch oven...:lol:

Oh I get it...just trying to get a full field view before I decide which line to take...door to the dutch oven...:lol:
It just amazes me they charge $350 to add a few buckles or ties to a flat piece of canvas.

Is it really a Dutch oven if your solo?

It just amazes me they charge $350 to add a few buckles or ties to a flat piece of canvas.

No kidding! I think I can learn to sew for that much coin...besides, seemed a better place to start than a roof top tent...

Just a thought......

What about a hammock?
Currently I cowboy camp with an Army style cot but have been considering a hammock.

No kidding! I think I can learn to sew for that much coin...besides, seemed a better place to start than a roof top tent...
Hit garage sales and find a sewing machine, I scored a Morse for free. Morse machines were made under contract in Toyota factorys, they are not quite commercial machines but way more than consumer machines. It will sew four layers of denim like butter, canvas is no challenge, I whipped out a cover for my sons generator in an afternoon.

I have an old 60s singer I picked up a few years back for 15 bucks...of course, a toyoda machine would be way coool

Just a thought......

What about a hammock?
Currently I cowboy camp with an Army style cot but have been considering a hammock.

I had given this some thought, but some places I'd like to camp haven't got many trees. I figure, even on trips I might have a tent, Having the bag and pad in a tidy package is a plus. then on lighter or less planned events, the whole thing just gets tossed in and sleeping isn't a drag, and I can just throw it down to set camp, if and where ever I need to.

Hit garage sales and find a sewing machine, I scored a Morse for free. Morse machines were made under contract in Toyota factorys, they are not quite commercial machines but way more than consumer machines. It will sew four layers of denim like butter, canvas is no challenge, I whipped out a cover for my sons generator in an afternoon.
Haven't heard of Morse--I subscribe to ISMAC Digest(sewing machines) and haven't seen that brand(but then again I wasn't looking) Now I will be(all my stuff is Singer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom