BEB paranoia... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jan, thanks for the recommendation, called Engine Australia and for a new set of shells (6) was $40... Much better than the $350 Mr Toyo wanted...

Decided to try the standard size :)

So, very soon I too will be taking on this job. A few rudimentary questions though.

Are you replacing both bearing halves and if so is there anything to be wary of when slipping in the top halves?

After torquing the new bolts to spec is the further 90 degree tightening done using a torque angle gauge or marking or just by eyeball judgement?

Does anyone have a parts number for the oil strainer gasket?

Also, parts number for the con rod bolts?

Thanks

13265-17010

You replace both bearings halves. They come in a kit.
Grease with assembly grease the side that mates with the crank
Keep the side that is against the con rod and the cap dry, no need for lube there.

marking and eyeball judgement.

You don't need to really replace the oil strainer gasket... Its in a pool of oil anyway.
15149-17010

Thank you ForealBoreal...as usual.

I've built a few VW engines from the block up (both 1776cc) but man that was a long...long time ago so needless to say my confidence and memory is a little lacking. Cheers!!

Mine were done about 100.000 kms ago; do I need to do it again? And from now on every 100.000 kms?

I would for peace of mind, if you're going to inspect them you might as well replace them. Very cheap insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom