Battery Suggestions for 1993 HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I suggest rotating your batteries at every oil change interval since one only gets used to start the vehicle and for nothing else. This will ensure they wear out at the same time interval. Batteries need to always be replaced in pairs and it’s always a bummer when you are required to ditch one that still holds a charge.

I think you will find this is incorrect.

When the engine is off and when the engine is running both batteries are in parallel, for example engine off but lights lights on both batteries are supplying the current. Switch on the ignition and still both batteries are in parallel, crank the starter and the changeover relay switches the two batteries from parallel to series, this now supplies the 24 volt starter motor, that is two batteries supplying current, releasing the ignition key allows both batteries to return to parallel and of course now be charged by the 12 volt alternator.

Regards

Dave.

@sailor - why do I need reversed posts. Is it so the wiring can reach the posts? Or, can the batter just be turned around as in the picture above?

It is not about battery cable lenght.

Reversing a battery puts the positive terminal very close to the inner wing or fender, take a hit in the fender and the negative metal of the bodywork will short against the positive terminal, thus creating a possible fire scenario.

Regards

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom