Battery Suggestions for 1993 HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to replace the two batteries in my 1993 HDJ80. I live in Toronto, Canada.

Firstly, what is the CCA (cold cranking amp) necessary for the HDJ80.

Secondly, what have you had success with?

I was looking at the Canadian Tire Nautilas Marine battery, but was not sure if they had enough CCA, as I do not have a FSM.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been using the Motomaster Eliminator AGM batteries in my HDJ81 for the last three years without issue; however, it doesn't get as cold here on the west coast. Someone else had mentioned they had issues with CT not honuring the warranty due to some fine print with freezing. That said, at three years old, my truck had no issues over the past week at -12 C (-20 with wind chill).

Any idea what are the required CCA for the HDJ80. Here is a picture of my engine bay, just in case guys need to know the wiring set up. But, best I can tell it is two independent 12V batteries, that go into a converter to 24V. Please correct me if I am wrong.

T
20200118_123805.jpg

Also, as you can see the batteries are missing the battery holders. Anyone have a pair of the two rods and battery holder for sale. Or, does anyone have and information as to where I can buy them. Thanks.

you need reverse posts on one battery. Do not ever turn the key and start your rig while jump starting. You are missing the decal on the DS battery cover that spells this out. I use lead acid and change them every 2 years. looks like an HDT- do the big end bearings and pull the acsd.

@sailor - why do I need reversed posts. Is it so the wiring can reach the posts? Or, can the batter just be turned around as in the picture above?

Unfortunately, I did turn the key and started the rig while jump starting. I had two separate boosters/chargers on each battery. Both were completely isolated from the other. Please tell me why this is wrong and what damage could come from it. I ask because my radio is not working. However, I do not know if it was working before.

Yes, it is a 1993 HDJ80 with a 1HD-T engine. When you say do the big end bearings is that the wheel bearings? And lastly what is the acsd?

Thanks for the input.

You'll want one group 27 battery and one group 27F (reversed terminals so the cables reach). I don't remember exactly what CCA they are, I want to say 725.

The BEB's or big end bearings are the connecting rod bearings on the crankshaft, these were prone to failure on early 1HD-T engines. I've heard that the problem was fixed sometime in 1993, but if you don't know whether they have been done its probably best to replace them to be sure.

The ACSD is a cold start device on the injection pump that is also prone to failure, sending metal shavings through the pump and injection system. Small $ to delete, big $$$ to fix if it fails. Lots of threads here in the diesel tech section on both issues.

I've had great luck with heavy duty interstate batteries in my diesel.

@sailor - why do I need reversed posts. Is it so the wiring can reach the posts? Or, can the batter just be turned around as in the picture above?

Unfortunately, I did turn the key and started the rig while jump starting. I had two separate boosters/chargers on each battery. Both were completely isolated from the other. Please tell me why this is wrong and what damage could come from it. I ask because my radio is not working. However, I do not know if it was working before.

Yes, it is a 1993 HDJ80 with a 1HD-T engine. When you say do the big end bearings is that the wheel bearings? And lastly what is the acsd?

Thanks for the input.

one battery will go 24 volts when starting. You might fry the other vehicle. Id pull the BEB asap.

Batteries Plus Bulbs has Northstar rebranded X2Power Premium batteries 20% off plus $30 MIR 5 year warranty.

Also, as you can see the batteries are missing the battery holders. Anyone have a pair of the two rods and battery holder for sale. Or, does anyone have and information as to where I can buy them. Thanks.

I bought aftermarket ones at the local parts shop a few years, did the job and only $10 ea. They are also easy to make.

700 CCA is adequate to start a hd-t with a 12 volt starter in any conditions I had mine in, but lowest temp I experienced in Australia is probably minus 10C

Looks like yours probably has 24 volt start. Both batteries should be matching and replaced at the same time.
Yes you will need reverse terminals for the right side battery

I have dual Odyssey’s and my BJ74 cranks over like it has somewhere to go. I highly recommend spending money on batteries, there where always be a time when it’ll save your ass and be worth it.

I suggest rotating your batteries at every oil change interval since one only gets used to start the vehicle and for nothing else. This will ensure they wear out at the same time interval. Batteries need to always be replaced in pairs and it’s always a bummer when you are required to ditch one that still holds a charge.

Would an AGM or deep cycle be a good choice?

any group 27 and 27F

some people do the Alt-S Fuse mod to get a higher voltage output of the alternator for deep cycles (common in 4runner taco group)

but I have chosen an alternate route with a DC-DC charger.

1682461148366.png

I have 2 Northstars in mine and I have a CTEK D250S Dual and SMARTPASS to top them up full and it also acts as a Charge controller for Solar.
It maybe a bit overkill but i can mix and match battery chemistrys without issue.

Last edited:
I suggest rotating your batteries at every oil change interval since one only gets used to start the vehicle and for nothing else. This will ensure they wear out at the same time interval. Batteries need to always be replaced in pairs and it’s always a bummer when you are required to ditch one that still holds a charge.
How does swapping batteries help if the posts are reversed? Battery cables will need to be extended or have enough slack to reach the posts on both sides.
Swapping batteries will only work if posts on both batteries are in located the center of the battery.

How does swapping batteries help if the posts are reversed? Battery cables will need to be extended or have enough slack to reach the posts on both sides.
Swapping batteries will only work if posts on both batteries are in located the center of the battery.

just get a good charge controller then there's no swapping needed

I just bought two 27 size 1 being a 27F. One is a marine application (27F) all good for an HDJ-80? These are the X2 power from Batteries Plus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom