Barker Ranch has burned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW! :frown:

What incredible irony that NPS had just put all that work into rehabbing the patio and roof. It was getting pretty sketchy when we went thru last October.

I was one of the fortunate ones that got to see Myers before it burned. It was TWICE as nice as Barker.

And, I am currently [as in just this last week]in the middle of reading Emmett Harder's book on Striped Butte Valley, so I was just getting another perspective on the Goler cabins.

John and I hadn't made an itinerary for Saturday the 16th yet. Maybe a day run from Panamint is in order.

I have been recieving e-mails from The Friends of Public Lands Cabins, one of the volunteer organizations I belong to. Highlights:

They indicate that the NPS [national park service] is investigating the cause of the fire. No formal opinions yet.

Member speculation is that the recent news stories on the 'buried bodies' rekindled too much interest in the area from the 'fringe' elements.

Volunteers main concern is that ADA [americans with disabilities act] building code requirements would preclude the NPS or any volunteer group being allowed to rebuild an unreinforced stone building, increasing the odds that the NPS will be forced to bulldoze what is left.

:frown:

This really sucks. I've spent many nights at the barker ranch and at the myers ranch as well. Met some friends of the meyer family years ago when they were there and spent a few nights in the cabin with them. This is really getting to be depressing going to the panamints any more as more and more stuff is disappearing.

I hear you Kelly. Do you have any old pics of Myers Ranch. I never took any when I was there, and now the pics are all we have.

Yes I do Mark buried in some photo boxes somewhere. They are all 35mm but with the negatives I should be able to do something with them.

Yes I do Mark buried in some photo boxes somewhere. They are all 35mm but with the negatives I should be able to do something with them.

Let me know if you need help with that. I think I would quite enjoy sorting thru old desert photos. Calico would probably too.

On another note, Randy Banis [from DeathValley.com] told us at the meeting that he knows the Jeep groups that were at the cabin Saturday night and Sunday night, and has had communication with both of them that confirms the cabin was still intact Monday morning. I guess being a website administrator has some 'special' perks!

I found this yesterday :frown: A cabin in last chance burned down.

I have only been here one time with Mark and Bogus. It was a fantastic cabin

12405.jpg

12205.jpg

112405.jpg

122503.jpg

12305.jpg

122405.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom