Bad news bearing. 4.11 rear axle needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 33 years of no major mechanical failures, the 42 has broken some teeth in the rear diff due to a bad bearing. Gotta give the old girl some credit though, been pretty good until now. Didn't do anything rough, just started hearing a bad rattle when gearing down or taking my foot off the pedal. Anyone have a spare axle around? Don't wanna rebuild the diff, so might as well just replace the whole axle. Heading east for a week but hoping to have it fixed before the expedition. Any pointers or advice would help. Now I've got a good reason to get the 87 pickup on the road in the meantime. It's an '82 BJ42 for reference.
Thanks,
Nik

When you say whole axle, do you mean third member ?

Ideally you'd want to find a finespline 411 out of another 42, or an auto HJ (or a jdm truck) but the older coarse spline diffs can work as well.

Just an issue of bolt pattern on the flange for the driveshaft.

conact "yardpig" he has a few drive shafts that might work.

DESPERATE! If anyone has a spare diff out of a 42 or an auto 60/62 please let me know. I emailed and pm'ed lineman but no response. Like to get the cruiser back on the road before school, as I won't have much time to work on it then, and I don't trust my crusty Hilux yet. 4.11 gears for an 82 42.
Thanks

Yeah he's out of town for work for a bit.

If you don't find a local option, I could loan you my spare. Don't really want to sell it tho. Was from an auto hj, not sure about flange pattern for a 42. I'd rather not have to swap flanges on it.
Gotta be a better local option for you tho...

If u can't find it local... why don't u just get a new ring and pinion and get it rebuilt... Cory at West shore spring and 4x4 rebuilds them...

In a pinch you can swap in the front one... They're interchangeable.

Good call. Wouldn't want to leave it like that forever though. Just got my pickup running so I'm no longer desperate. I'll get the gears from lineman and fix it when I can, hopefully before school, and maybe store it for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom