B engine lag/stall in H2 second gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M1A1cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I put this in the 40 section for more eyes, but thought I'd put it here in case there are any thoughts about my ol' B engine being the cause of this weird shifting/stalling thing.

BJ40, B engine, swapped in a used H55F, split case, new clutch.

The engine runs OK, a little excess blow-by, a little bit of leaky valve I think, but generally OK. Idles fine, revs fine, doesn't get hot, doesn't smoke more than I'd expect a 40-year-old un-rebuilt diesel to.

If I'm in H4 on the transfer I can drive around in 1st gear just fine, but as soon as I shift to second (or any higher gear - I've tried going from 1st to 3rd, or starting in 2nd) it's like there's not enough power to keep going and the truck stalls. No different than if you try to start from a dead stop in 4th, or engine lagging when going uphill and you have to downshift to keep applying power.

I thought it was fuel delivery, BUT on a whim I put the transfer into L4 yesterday (hubs not locked) and was able to drive like I would normally expect to be able to. Obviously a little slower, being in low range, but no issues shifting into second, or third, or even climbing the no-road side hills around the place. I thought maybe the used H55 was shot, but being able to shift/drive through the gears with txfr in LOW makes me think the transmission gears are as OK as I need thme to be.

So I'm flummoxed. I know the B engine is underpowered, and I know no one needs an H55 in a B-engine 40 (call it a bad whim during the build) but clearly I should be able to take a slight uphill grade on a dirt road in second gear without being in L4. The truck is at the ranch - a couple hours from me - so I can't exactly go out and try this or that. But I'd be interested in any opinions or thoughts from the experts, or even non-experts (HA!).

Thanks.
Trav.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom