Auto trans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I'm looking to build a 700R4 for the 40. I'm getting the AA adapter to go to the 3 speed case. Does anybody know if it'll fit on a 74 transition x-fer?
2nd question: Has anybody used or heard of someone using a manual switched lock up converter for engine braking?

....don't know the answers to your questions, but I had a rental Kia once with an AT...took it down the Rubicon and dented the holy $H!T out of it....and don't like ATs...

'o and by the way, I have a post hole digger and design p enlargment pumps for the government...

:flipoff2: :D :D :banana: :banana:

-H-

(Sorry to all those who don't frequent the 80/100 board...inside joke!)

I believe AA makes adapters for both, either way I'll bet it requires replacing the tailshaft of the tranny.

Buddy of mine runs the manual lockup switch and loves it. I'll wager cruiserrg is the expert on it tho....lol

the transition case with the 2.313 gears has the same identical attachment 5-bolt pattern to the tranny or adapter, and the 10-spline input is identical as the 73-older cases as well.

IIRC, the only difference in the 5 attachment bolts was the thread pitch. (WHY, I don't know, but it is....)

I had a 700R built by JET in CA for the 80 project that I have going. IIRC, they told me to go with a non-selectable TC so that it would stay engaged. I was told that the only reason that you would want a selectable TC was for hwy cruising, so that the engine can run at a lower rpm, for better mileage, and not have to spin at the same rpm's as the driveline. I purchased a very low stall, heavy-duty TC from them also..

Hope to have this going by MAR/APR of '04.

Need to build the 60's for underneath... If birfields do not hold up to the short bus with a six, they most certianly will not hang with a Ram Jet 350...

Haven't got the rig together to test, but my plan is to have a manual lockup switch. I do beleive tho that the stock valve body in a 700r4 will only allow lockup in 4th gear, but don't know for sure.

I bought a full manual reverse VB from TIC for my 700 and you can have lockup in all gears, and it retain engine braking capabilities. I will test is as soon as this thing is done. :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=12;threadid=7241;start=msg60403#msg60403 date=1068249779]
I had a 700R built by JET in CA for the 80 project that I have going. IIRC, they told me to go with a non-selectable TC so that it would stay engaged. I was told that the only reason that you would want a selectable TC was for hwy cruising, so that the engine can run at a lower rpm, for better mileage, and not have to spin at the same rpm's as the driveline. I purchased a very low stall, heavy-duty TC from them also..

[/quote]

They are correct for pavement driving. I want engine braking. I hate having to ride the brakes going down a slippery slope, trying to keep the rears from locking first because they are unloaded. The ends try to swap when this happens.

TJDIV- I have a 700R4 to rebuild. I will be looking for a kit like CruiserRG is talking about if that's what it takes to get the manual lockup TC to work in first. I almost have the 40 on the road. It's time to tear it apart again on a new project.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=12;threadid=7241;start=msg60659#msg60659 date=1068319405]
Here's a new question. Can you bump start an auto with a manual lock-up?
[/quote]

Not unless you have a way to build fluid pressure to engage the lockup. I have been thinking of running an accumulator in the system with an electric dump and try to do this.

[quote author=cruiserrg link=board=12;threadid=7241;start=msg60661#msg60661 date=1068320218]
Not unless you have a way to build fluid pressure to engage the lockup. I have been thinking of running an accumulator in the system with an electric dump and try to do this.
[/quote]

I think you need close to 300psi, maybe more. I don't know if the accumulator would dump enough pressure. It would also need more volume of fluid. 2 clutch packs would have to be engaged as well as the converter being locked up.

It's looking like UPS lost my 700R4 to 3 speed adapter. Unfortunately, it wasn't insured for enough to replace it with a new one, and I have gotten advice that a doubler will fit so I might as well just go csb/700R4/205/4speed.
My question is, is there another source for the doubler adapter other than AA? With the cost of the AA adapter, the shorter output shaft for the trans, and the 205 case, I'm over budget again.

I'm not certian, but I believe if you get the short TH350 size shaft for the 700R4, you can use a factory TH350-NP203 adapter (the adapter is about .5" thick). Or as another option, if you have the room, is to modify the NP203 box to use a factory 700r4 to NP208 adapter which will allow you to use the factory 700r4 output shaft (the adapter is about 3.5" thick).

As far as the NP203 to 4spd case, I don't know if anyone else is making them. You could check with John351C on pirate and see if he can make you on.

It's been a while since I've been inside one, but I think the th350 short tail 2wd and the 700r4 2wd are identical.

There is a long tail 2wd th350 and super short 4wd th350 and 700r4.

[quote author=cruiserrg link=board=12;threadid=7241;start=msg71127#msg71127 date=1070548741]
I'm not certian, but I believe if you get the short TH350 size shaft for the 700R4, you can use a factory TH350-NP203 adapter (the adapter is about .5" thick). Or as another option, if you have the room, is to modify the NP203 box to use a factory 700r4 to NP208 adapter which will allow you to use the factory 700r4 output shaft (the adapter is about 3.5" thick).

As far as the NP203 to 4spd case, I don't know if anyone else is making them. You could check with John351C on pirate and see if he can make you on.
[/quote]

Holy Crap! ??? What the hell does all that mean?

I wandered in here from the non-hard core forums - I think I'll go back where I belong now and talk about synthetic oil or how to clean leather seats or something. :whoops:

What a great information source this board is - it amazes me every day what we all know in aggregrate :cheers:

[quote author=yooper link=board=12;threadid=7241;start=msg72998#msg72998 date=1070924228]
Holy Crap! ??? What the hell does all that mean?

I wandered in here from the non-hard core forums - I think I'll go back where I belong now and talk about synthetic oil or how to clean leather seats or something. :whoops:

What a great information source this board is - it amazes me every day what we all know in aggregrate :cheers:
[/quote]

Bacially means I do too much web wheelin' and need to finish my rig. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom