Auto to man 98-98 runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is changing an auto tranny to a manual a big deal in a 98 or 99 4Runner?

Been looking for one with a manual tranny...hard to find I guess...

Is changing an auto tranny to a manual a big deal in a 98 or 99 4Runner?

Been looking for one with a manual tranny...hard to find I guess...

It's a lot of work and parts anyway.
Need;
a R150F manual trans
flywheel
clutch
clutch master and slave
clutch pedal assembly
ECU for manual trans or modify auto trans NSS
possible new trans crossmember
that is just off the top of my head, so I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

99 was the last year of the manual trans. Very hard to find and highy sought after.

My plan is to convert mine, eventually.

I have seen a couple 2000s with manual, but pretty far, and priced way high :frown:

What worries a little more than the parts...is where they go. If I went ahead with an auto rig, and slowly put together the parts needed to do the conversion, well, I am kind of hoping that everything will just bolt right into the existing rig...this too much to hope for?

I have seen a couple 2000s with manual, but pretty far, and priced way high :frown:

What worries a little more than the parts...is where they go. If I went ahead with an auto rig, and slowly put together the parts needed to do the conversion, well, I am kind of hoping that everything will just bolt right into the existing rig...this too much to hope for?

I guarantee some drilling, fabbing and customization.

You are correct 2000 was the last year of the manual and 3RZ options, I always get that off by a year.

You will also be losing your push button AWD.

I guarantee some drilling, fabbing and customization.

See...if this is the case, I might as well just keep looking till I find one with a manual tranny.

I was hoping that Toyota build one standard runner tub/firewall, so that going to manual I would simply need to bolt into existing brackets and stuff...

See...if this is the case, I might as well just keep looking till I find one with a manual tranny.

I was hoping that Toyota build one standard runner tub/firewall, so that going to manual I would simply need to bolt into existing brackets and stuff...

See, it may be that easy.
I'm not positive, but I doubt it.

I don't believe so. Here is this....
3rd Gen Auto to Manual Swap - TTORA Forum

Searched Google for "3rd gen 4runner auto to manual conversion"
This looked the most promising.

Just read that the drive shafts are different also. One more part for the pile.

:cheers:

Thanks for the link :cheers:

I did speak to a guy I know who owns a local shop (good guy)...he tells me for $1000, I can drive in my auto, and drive out with a 5 speed. This sound fair to you?

I'd be careful with that. Labor alone should be well over $1k. Remember you need a new tranny, ecu, driveshafts, etc. etc. People that have swapped still had little issues here and there.

If I were you, I'd just keep looking for a manual. I know they're harder to find, but you will find one.

It's a cross country trip, but here in one:

http://www.yotatech.com/f108/feeler...5-your-auto-4runner-tacoma-redmond-wa-230356/

Last edited:
This is what I figured...always something popping up...when you least expect it.

No rush, so I will sit back till a 5speed pops up.

Thanks guys :cheers:

Well if it can work out that you guys can import them from north of the 49th there are several for sale here and usually go for less as most people want an auto.
Can you guys import an 96 through 2000 model or what is the limit?
Or do I need to start driving unregistered 4runners south? :) Put an 86 badge on them and go....

I have seen a couple in TO and Ottawa, but only one here in Montreal...and that was a while ago. Maybe I should go out west to look...

I have seen a couple in TO and Ottawa, but only one here in Montreal...and that was a while ago. Maybe I should go out west to look...

my bad..sorry missed the Montreal...
yes I just search autotrader.com or kijiji.com
Try BC, Ab, Sask & Manitoba as there are usually a handful of manual runners for sale..I was just asking a guy about his Kijiji ad I think for a 99 V6 manual he wanted $2000 but was parting it out.

my bad..sorry missed the Montreal...
yes I just search autotrader.com or kijiji.com
Try BC, Ab, Sask & Manitoba as there are usually a handful of manual runners for sale..I was just asking a guy about his Kijiji ad I think for a 99 V6 manual he wanted $2000 but was parting it out.

The only runner I found for $2000 was a decent '96. It was missing a front bumper, but the body looked decent. It is still on a used car lot not too far. It was/is white, with that dark brown/almost burgundy interior. Toying with getting it and doing the tranny swap...but think I'll just wait seeing as spring is here, and I feel more rigs will come up for sale...we'll see.

You will need:

- Transmission with Transfer Case
- Flywheel
- Flywheel Bolts
- Clutch
- Pressure Plate Bolts
- Clutch / Brake Pedal assembly from 5 speed
- Slave and Master Cylinder
- Hard line and soft line from Master to Slave
- Front and rear drive shafts
- Cross member
- Manual ECU if you want it to pass emissions
- You will also need the manual ECU plugs if the truck is older than 98 as Toyota used 2 different types of ECU plugs stating in the middle of 95.
- You will need to cut the floor for the shifters.
- You will need to drill holes in the firewall to mount the Master

I hope this helps. I have done this swap in a number of trucks from 88 and up. It can be price to do it right unless you find a 5 speed truck to rob the parts from. The little nickle and dime stuff is what gets you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom