Auto multimeter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would it be a good choice for general car examination and automotive work?

fluke.jpg

It's a Fluke, so even with reported recent drops in quality, it should still be better than most "generic" multimeters, I would think. That said, most generic multimeters are likely fine for automotive work, which is not typically lab work level.
One suggestion, however, would be to look at a clamp meter that can do DC currents. Very handy for car work, as it allows you to avoid cutting into circuits. Big time-saver IMO. You can get a decent one for likely less than the above one is.

clamp leads are nice. Also leave some budget for specialty leads. I was troubleshooting some sensors on a BMW. I have a selection of aligator style leads, etc. but they were not helping. Everything was too large to get inside the socket. I purchased these, which look great in concept. But I haven't tried them yet...

Alligator and T-pins ;)
I got T-pins too. on water proof connectors it's not always easy to use the T pin coming in from the wire side. I ended up using finishing nails and alligator clips. The cupped head on the finishing nail allowed me to contact the male pins inside the connector but it was really a pain holding everything in place...Hence, I purchased the special purpose leads.

fluke 88 is a solid meter sticking in the fluke line. i have the older version of the mac voltmeter Digital Multimeter - https://www.mactools.com/products/em721, caught it on sale and pretty much got the amp clamp for free on. if your just doing basic voltage and resistance checks you can get away with a lower priced unit that will still get the job done, a higher priced unit may have features that you might not need so why pay for it if your not going to use it

I've got an older Fluke 77 thatworks great, but honestly Fluke meters tend to be overkill for most autmotive stuff. If I were buying today I would consider one of the UNI-T units, they are surprisingly good.

I've been using this kit for several years with no negative results. The power probe is very handy and also has a volt meter built into it as well.

PPROKIT01__30872.1545410578.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom