Auto Log Off Settings ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Good afternoon:

I have noticed that if I am logged in, and walk away from my computer for a time, MUD logs me off.

Does anyone know, is the "no activity for X minutes" a setting that I can change?

Rigger

Hmmm. I have no idea where to even look.

I can stay logged in to Gmail for hours w/ no activity. But MUD boots me out within 5 minutes if I don't at least refresh a page.

Happening to me too.. I can accept it if I'm inactive for 5 mins but now it's doing it if I'm inactive for as little as 30 seconds.

In fact, I've only just finished logging back in and I wouldn't be surprised if it forces me to do so again as soon as I try posting this message.

:beer:

Edit: It didn't... So I must have been super fast!

I've never experienced that issue...try clearing all your ih8mud-related browser cookies. Occasionally they get "weird" and cleaning helps. I usually do mine every week or two, along with the browser cache and some other stuff.

Happening to me too.. I can accept it if I'm inactive for 5 mins but now it's doing it if I'm inactive for as little as 30 seconds.

In fact, I've only just finished logging back in and I wouldn't be surprised if it forces me to do so again as soon as I try posting this message.

Happening to me right now. 5 minutes or hit refresh: logged off.

There is nothing in the forum/server software that would cause this. It has to be something with your browser or antivirus settings.

If you are "denying" cookies in your browser settings, you will have issues.

Checking the "keep me logged in" box next to the login button helps.

:doh:

But I seriously wasn't having this problem yesterday so i don't know.

If you are "denying" cookies in your browser settings, you will have issues.

Yep. That's me alright!

Checking the "keep me logged in" box next to the login button helps.
But I seriously wasn't having this problem yesterday so i don't know.

OK. I've started ticking that box now. (ha ha) But I never used to have problems (with it left unticked) before now.

I don't like the idea of cookies so I think I'll keep blocking them (and I'll maybe review this policy if the ticked-box doesn't solve it all).,

Thanks for your help guys...:beer::beer:

"cookies" are part of what saves your position in a thread, remembers your other site-specific settings, etc. Not all cookies are bad, and the forum sets a handful to help improve your experience on the forum.

You can always delete them should you be less than pleased with the cookie experience :)

Oddly, EVERY site sets cookies...check through your cookies list in your browser. They are unavoidable in this day and age.

I try to keep the site software updated the instant a new version comes out. It's possible something with regards to cookie handling was adjusted in a new release. I DO know that any minor security issues are addressed, which is why I quickly update.

I know of sites that "ignore" minor updates, and end up with spam attacks, hackers, etc creating havoc with their sites. I'd prefer to avoid that headache :)

"cookies" are part of what saves your position in a thread, remembers your other site-specific settings, etc. Not all cookies are bad, and the forum sets a handful to help improve your experience on the forum.
You can always delete them should you be less than pleased with the cookie experience :)
Oddly, EVERY site sets cookies...check through your cookies list in your browser. They are unavoidable in this day and age.
I try to keep the site software updated the instant a new version comes out. It's possible something with regards to cookie handling was adjusted in a new release. I DO know that any minor security issues are addressed, which is why I quickly update.
I know of sites that "ignore" minor updates, and end up with spam attacks, hackers, etc creating havoc with their sites. I'd prefer to avoid that headache :)

Thanks Woody..

I've updated my version of Google Chrome, cleared all cookies (...so maybe I was wrong about having them blocked :hmm:) and done a few other mysterious things too..(as well as ensuring the "stay logged on" box is ticked).

A computer is a useful tool and I only learn enough about them do be able to do what I want to do on them, repair them when components break down, and sort out specific software issues. (And in the process of doing those repairs and sorting those software issues I do learn stuff but unfortunately I then promptly forget it all so I always have to repeat the learning curve on the very next occasion. :lol:)

I'm never keen on sites storing files on my computer without my knowledge but I acknowledge that there are legitimate reasons for doing so (that help users like me) and that ih8mud is unlikely to breach my privacy (unlike so many other sites).

Thanks for providing such a great site. (Browsing and chatting on ih8mud is definitely my main computer-use and has been for a long time now.)

Yep. That's me alright!

OK. I've started ticking that box now. (ha ha) But I never used to have problems (with it left unticked) before now.

I don't like the idea of cookies so I think I'll keep blocking them (and I'll maybe review this policy if the ticked-box doesn't solve it all).,
Thanks for your help guys...:beer::beer:

Something changed just recently. I noticed it at work today, and now here at home. I refresh the page and it kicks me out. I try to post a reply and it kicks me out. Easy, I just log back in, but it's kind of annoying. I haven't changed the settings in years probably. I can just tick the keep me logged in box here too, but it's almost never been necessary.

Mostly just curious.

<edit> same thing just now :lol: </edit>

"today" nothing has changed..."this past weekend", the forum software was updated to the latest version. I also updated my Chrome browser today...and if you run an antivirus program, those update by their own magic :)

I've always had to tick the box to remain logged in.

"today" nothing has changed..."this past weekend", the forum software was updated to the latest version. I also updated my Chrome browser today...and if you run an antivirus program, those update by their own magic :)

I've always had to tick the box to remain logged in.
huh. Something is definitely changed. I only need to refresh the page (or try to post something) and I get kicked off.

And I'm set up to stay logged on until I close out of the browser.

:meh:

Browser? OS? Have you tried a different browser than the one you are using now?

Browser? OS? Have you tried a different browser than the one you are using now?
Generally IE, just tried Firefox here, same thing.

Generally IE, just tried Firefox here, same thing.
All the ads seem to load up faster in firefox when I'm all logged out each time I refresh or come back to the page, so there's that.

:flipoff2:

hmmm...puzzling...what OS? I'm on a Mac/Chrome or Android/Chrome most of the time, haven't noted any oddities...perhaps it's an OS issue somehow...

I will note, I'm amazed anyone uses IE :)

Per Google Analytics, for site users:
Chrome: 37%
Safari: 33%
IE: 12%
Firefox: 11%
Other: 5%

Hmm..interesting...OS:
Windows: 39%
iOS: 29%
Android: 20% (woah...never saw that coming!)
Macintosh: 11%
Other: <2%

hmmm...puzzling...what OS? I'm on a Mac/Chrome or Android/Chrome most of the time, haven't noted any oddities...perhaps it's an OS issue somehow...

I will note, I'm amazed anyone uses IE :)

Call it a "legacy" thing.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom