August Club Run - Monache Meadows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
August Club Run - Monache Meadows, Southern Sierra Nevada, August 7-9. Given what I expect may be extra camping pressure (due to COVID-19) I will go up on Thursday, August 6th, to try to ensure sufficient camping space for our group. I know that sometimes schedules are fluid, but I need to ask you to confirm with me that you are going on this run (so I can grab the right sized spot) by Tuesday, August 4th, at the latest. You may call, text, email, or respond to this thread. As we get closer, we'll finalize a meeting time & location, for any who might wish to caravan up from Orange County on Friday morning. From Orange County, you can expect about a 3 hour drive to the Nine Mile Canyon/Kennedy Meadows turn off from Hwy 395, another hour up the aforementioned road to the Blackrock Ranger/Fire Station, and then a final hour on the trail into Monache Meadows.

Hi all – I just did a pre-run Monache Meadows trip with some friends, none of whom had any prior off-road driving experience. The vehicles were a stock Wrangler on all-terrains, and a near-new Grand Cherokee on highway tires (but, it also had adjustable suspension and all the traction control doo-dads). They were both fine, with just a little bit of trail spotting assistance.

Monache Meadows was still beautiful! The South Fork of the Kern River is still flowing, but not too heavy. The water crossings were only about hub height, though there are a few deeper pools if you want to take a dip. There are quite a few fish there (I was just fooling around, and caught a nice little Golden Trout on my 3rd cast).

While we weren’t alone by any means, I wouldn’t say it was overly crowded. I don’t think we’ll have any trouble finding a nice campsite. The biggest challenge I foresee will be communication. Once you leave the highway cell service drops off rapidly, and there is no signal at all in Monache Meadows. I have a CB, but not a Ham, so range is pretty limited. I think once I get a handle on how many rigs to expect, we can start a group text and I’ll share GPS coordinates and trail markers so we can link up on Friday. I’m still planning to go up Thursday to secure campsites. I did notice that as we got closer to the weekend more folks were coming in on the trail.

So far, this is who has expressed interest in coming:
  • Joe & Robin Roy
  • Brandon & possibly his friend
  • Dwaine Mitchell
  • David – Are you heading up Thursday, too? Wanna caravan?
We can firm up the itinerary at our August 2 club meeting, but here's what I anticipate as of now:

Thursday: Joe (and any one else available to leave Thursday morning) will drive up and secure campsites
Friday: The rest of the club arriving in time to camp for the night (might be best if you caravan to ensure we all wind up in the same spot!)
Saturday: Explore the meadows area - there are several trails in the area (Bakeoven Dune, River campsites, trail to PCT trailhead, etc...). Camp a second night (same place as the first night, unless people want to move).
Sunday: Leisurely breakfast, pack up & head for home in the late morning, arrive back in OC by late afternoon or early evening.

While it's not especially challenging, there are some possible harder lines on a few obstacles; and, the scenery is beautiful - alpine meadow (complete with grazing cattle!) at about 8,000 feet elevation, with a trout-filled river running through the meadow, and ringed by forested mountains. Golden hour with the sun setting across the meadow is just spectacular!

Will any of you who planning to go on this run please confirm through this thread? It will help me keep a handle on who to expect. I don't want to forget anyone because I heard from them on PM, text, or email. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible on this run!

Hi all – I just did a pre-run Monache Meadows trip with some friends, none of whom had any prior off-road driving experience. The vehicles were a stock Wrangler on all-terrains, and a near-new Grand Cherokee on highway tires (but, it also had adjustable suspension and all the traction control doo-dads). They were both fine, with just a little bit of trail spotting assistance.

Monache Meadows was still beautiful! The South Fork of the Kern River is still flowing, but not too heavy. The water crossings were only about hub height, though there are a few deeper pools if you want to take a dip. There are quite a few fish there (I was just fooling around, and caught a nice little Golden Trout on my 3rd cast).

While we weren’t alone by any means, I wouldn’t say it was overly crowded. I don’t think we’ll have any trouble finding a nice campsite. The biggest challenge I foresee will be communication. Once you leave the highway cell service drops off rapidly, and there is no signal at all in Monache Meadows. I have a CB, but not a Ham, so range is pretty limited. I think once I get a handle on how many rigs to expect, we can start a group text and I’ll share GPS coordinates and trail markers so we can link up on Friday. I’m still planning to go up Thursday to secure campsites. I did notice that as we got closer to the weekend more folks were coming in on the trail.

• Joe & Robin Roy
  • Dwaine Mitchell
We can firm up the itinerary at our August 2 club meeting, but here's what I anticipate as of now:

Thursday: Joe (and any one else available to leave Thursday morning) will drive up and secure campsites
Friday: The rest of the club arriving in time to camp for the night (might be best if you caravan to ensure we all wind up in the same spot!)
Saturday: Explore the meadows area - there are several trails in the area (Bakeoven Dune, River campsites, trail to PCT trailhead, etc...). Camp a second night (same place as the first night, unless people want to move).
Sunday: Leisurely breakfast, pack up & head for home in the late morning, arrive back in OC by late afternoon or early evening.

While it's not especially challenging, there are some possible harder lines on a few obstacles; and, the scenery is beautiful - alpine meadow (complete with grazing cattle!) at about 8,000 feet elevation, with a trout-filled river running through the meadow, and ringed by forested mountains. Golden hour with the sun setting across the meadow is just spectacular!

Will any of you who planning to go on this run please confirm through this thread? It will help me keep a handle on who to expect. I don't want to forget anyone because I heard from them on PM, text, or email. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible on this run!
Marc Mason is planning on going

• Joe & Robin Roy
  • Dwaine Mitchell

Marc Mason is interested in caravanning with other members, especially if they have Gps equipment on their vehicle?

Brandon will be attending this trailrun! Hope to finally meet you guys! I do not have a Ham or CB yet in my rig, but just ordered a Baofeng handheld for a trail trip this weekend with one of our members, so that's likely all I will have for communications for August. I am planning to bring about 6 people, at least 2 vehicles, possibly a 3rd. I am also interested in caravanning up to the site if possible, don't want to miss anyone like the Big Bear trip :doh: . I plan on leaving Friday morning if that's what you guys want to do. Do keep this thread updated please!

Last edited:
Brandon Kawaguchi will be attending this trailrun! Hope to finally meet you guys! I do not have a Ham or CB yet in my rig, but just ordered a Baofeng handheld for a trail trip this weekend with one of our members, so that's likely all I will have for communications for August. I am planning to bring about 6 people, at least 2 vehicles, possibly a 3rd. I am also interested in caravanning up to the site if possible, don't want to miss anyone like the Big Bear trip :doh: . I plan on leaving Friday morning if that's what you guys want to do. Do keep this thread updated please!
Hi Brandon, I don't know what city you would be departing from? I will be departing from near harbor boulevard and the 405 freeway in Costa Mesa. If you were departing from some areas to the north of me or somewhere in the LA metropolitan area we could designate an area off the 14 freeway that will be very easy for everybody to meet at and then we could caravan from that point the rest of the way there.

Hi Brandon, I don't know what city you would be departing from? I will be departing from near harbor boulevard and the 405 freeway in Costa Mesa. If you were departing from some areas to the north of me or somewhere in the LA metropolitan area we could designate an area off the 14 freeway that will be very easy for everybody to meet at and then we could caravan from that point the rest of the way there.
Hi Marc, departing from Pasadena. So I can head head east on the 210 and take it up to the 14 if thats the best place to meet. We should definitely designate a place to meet so we all get up there together. What time did you plan on leaving? And do people plan on wheeling Friday?

Hi Brandon & Marc,

There's an In'n'Out Burger off Hwy 14 at Sand Canyon (north end of Santa Clarita Valley) that has very convenient off/on highway access. If Brandon wants to take Angeles Crest Hwy to Hwy 14, the Costco gas station in Lancaster (Avenue L off ramp) also has easy on/off access. You might want to fill up there. The last place to top-off before Nine Mile Canyon Road towards Kennedy Meadows is the Shell station in Pearsonville. Looking forward to seeing you guys!

JR

Hi Brandon & Marc,

There's an In'n'Out Burger off Hwy 14 at Sand Canyon (north end of Santa Clarita Valley) that has very convenient off/on highway access. If Brandon wants to take Angeles Crest Hwy to Hwy 14, the Costco gas station in Lancaster (Avenue L off ramp) also has easy on/off access. You might want to fill up there. The last place to top-off before Nine Mile Canyon Road towards Kennedy Meadows is the Shell station in Pearsonville. Looking forward to seeing you guys!

JR
Hey Joe,

That is definitely doable. Maps is telling me the 210W around the mountains is faster, so ill take the 210 W to the 14 and can meet the other members at the In n Out. Just give me a time and ill meet everyone there!

Hi all,

Brandon is coming from Pasadena via the 210,
Hey Joe,

That is definitely doable. Maps is telling me the 210W around the mountains is faster, so ill take the 210 W to the 14 and can meet the other members at the In n Out. Just give me a time and ill meet everyone there!

and, Marc is coming from Costa Mesa,

I gave a couple of meeting place suggestions, but since I'll already be in Monache Meadows by the time you guys are meeting on Friday, I think it would be best if you all coordinated the time & place for your meeting. I'll work on the the time and place for us to link up in Monache Meadows, after you reach this area. As soon as you agree on a time & place to meet, I'll figure that into what ETA at Monache Meadows I can expect for you, and then I can pick a good place where we can't help but see each other.

JR

Hi all,

Brandon is coming from Pasadena via the 210,

and, Marc is coming from Costa Mesa,

I gave a couple of meeting place suggestions, but since I'll already be in Monache Meadows by the time you guys are meeting on Friday, I think it would be best if you all coordinated the time & place for your meeting. I'll work on the the time and place for us to link up in Monache Meadows, after you reach this area. As soon as you agree on a time & place to meet, I'll figure that into what ETA at Monache Meadows I can expect for you, and then I can pick a good place where we can't help but see each other.

JR
Sounds Good, ill be in touch with Marc as the date comes closer. Thanks Joe

Hi Marc, departing from Pasadena. So I can head head east on the 210 and take it up to the 14 if thats the best place to meet. We should definitely designate a place to meet so we all get up there together. What time did you plan on leaving? And do people plan on wheeling Friday?
When we get
closer to the trip event we can discuss those details . there are numerous major on and off-ramp intersections on the 14 near Santa Clarita area. We can specify one of those locations where there is a McDonald's I know of . Details as to departure times and meeting times for a spot off the 14 we will probably need to exchange cell phone contact info prior to the date of the trip. Details as to when/where we will be 4-wheeling/camp ing etc will probably be announced after the club's monthly meeting . Stand by for those details in the near future.

When we get
closer to the trip event we can discuss those details . there are numerous major on and off-ramp intersections on the 14 near Santa Clarita area. We can specify one of those locations where there is a McDonald's I know of . Details as to departure times and meeting times for a spot off the 14 we will probably need to exchange cell phone contact info prior to the date of the trip. Details as to when/where we will be 4-wheeling/camp ing etc will probably be announced after the club's monthly meeting . Stand by for those details in the near future.
Sounds good Marc, hope to meet you soon!

I'm going to try to make this one!

I'm going to try to make this one!
That would be awesome, Brent. Would love to see you there. Maybe the Sunday meeting, too? It’s a great location.

Couldn’t make the meeting today but I’m planning on going. More details where?

Couldn’t make the meeting today but I’m planning on going. More details where?
Hi Alberto (and everyone else, too!),

This is what we discussed and agreed to at today's meeting. A few of us will be caravanning up Thursday morning to secure campsites (see RSVP roster below). The GPS coordinates for our meeting spot (and 1st choice campsites) are: 36.20748, -118.17639. There will also be several folks coming up Friday (maybe an early morning group, and a midday group, too (see RSVP roster below). If we miss our 1st choice spot, we'll still plan to link up there on Friday (NOTE: I'll need ETA's to ensure link-up, in case we have to camp elsewhere). Lastly, we may have one or two leaving early Saturday morning.

RSVP Roster as of 8/2/20, 10:00 PM
  • Joe, Robin , and Danny Roy (Thursday)
  • David Slingluff (Thursday)
  • Achilles Young (Thursday)
  • Marc Mason (Friday)
  • Jared & Virginia (Friday)
  • Alan F. (Friday)
  • Kaitlyn & Rich Petrulio (Friday)
  • Robert McNamee (Friday)
  • Brent Adams (Friday)
  • Brandon (Friday)
  • Dwaine Mitchell - Need you to pick your departure to ensure link-up, thanks!
  • Patrick Goddard (Saturday)
  • Brandon's friend (Saturday)
So, as of now, I'm expecting 12-13 rigs.

If anyone else out there missed the meeting, and is planning to attend; or if anyone has to cancel; will you please let me know by Wednesday night, 8/5/20, so I can do my best to secure sites for all of us to camp in the same proximity? Probably the best way to communicate will be through this thread, so we can post updates in a forum available to all.

Also, I just purchased a handheld Ham radio. If I can figure out how to use it in time, and if we can agree on a frequency (I've heard 146.460 is kind of an adopted Land Cruiser frequency), we may be able to use that to ensure link-up for the different groups coming up. LMK what you think...

Itinerary, as of now:
Thursday: Joe, Achilles, and David will drive up and secure campsites
Friday: The rest of the club arriving in time to set up camp for the night (might be best if you caravan to ensure we all wind up in the same spot!) If there are both an early group and a later group, please consult your favorite GPS and advise me of ETA's, to ensure we link up. Depending on arrival times, may be able to do a little exploring...
Saturday: Final arrivals. Explore the meadows area - there are several trails in the area (Bakeoven Dune, River campsites, trail to PCT trailhead, etc...). Camp a second night (same place as the first night, unless people want to move).

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all on this run!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom